Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Help me create a better picture (concept art)

Replies

• Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, always good to see someone interested in concept art in this forum.  I'm always a bit harsh on critiques but I hope you take it as a checklist on how to approach the next pieces instead of as a character attack.

John Sweeny's tutorials right?  Not saying its a bad thing but this is one of the biggest catch alls to 3d that I warn everyone about constantly.  Don't jump straight to modo.  3d is used to ease through a part of the image creation process that is time consuming, but without the understanding of what goes into creating a good image as a drawing then it'll certainly be a glaring issue in a high polish piece.  In your case its simple stuff like how the world works and proportion that read off.  The damage around the window and the door in the first piece, the lack of atmospheric separation, the electrical socket being 3ft up the wall and the windows who's bottom seal rest uncomfortably low for normal day use all make the piece feel a bit wrong.  In the kitchen piece its a bit more whimsical because the ship lap is sagging so heavily in the area you exposed but the dry wall still hasn't crumbled off.  The dishes just left of the oven look like plates as well but are the size of serving platters.  The piece with the broken blinds has the least amount of production information in it, but its also the one that really pegs that the understanding isn't there cause venetian blinds when they break, turn into an absolute clusterfuck of angles and bends. When it comes to photo realism, proportion becomes excessively important and your blocking in with modo had you jump over some basic understanding that you could have gotten from referencing photos a bit more. 

There is also a bit of a contradiction in your piece with the desert background and plant life native to jungles.  John's tutorials used the desert but in your case it'd be beneficial to chose a more lush background.  This kind of leads into the one thing you'll most probably want to do before your next piece and that is set the world.  Who are you designing this for?  What are the constraints of the world, the people who live there, the story that you are telling?  Concept art is always production first and I can promise you that most of the stuff I see/make looks way rougher than this, but it always solves a problem.  Find what you're trying to solve and fix the problems with understanding and the techniques you know will go a really long way.