Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ruger SR1911

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Kroma! polycounter lvl 9

Finally got around to finishing up the high poly for this. I think I may need to soften some edges but I'll leave it for now and try some bakes as they are. Let me know what you think. :)

Still got the grip badges to do, not sure of the best approach. Possibly ZBrush and a height map?

Most references from this site http://gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_sr1911_p1.php

Replies

• Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Been a while but getting close to finishing this one now. I'd love to hear your feedback :smiley:
    Textured with Painter, presented in TB2 at 4k. 10,967 tris including a full magazine.

• Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Calling this project done now. More images here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZXn9m

I learnt a lot on this, mostly Substance Painter and Designer but also about my own workflow and how I should zoom out more often and spend less time on tiny details.

I could still improve this piece with proper geometry for the grip bolts as they look flat in first-person. The texturing could be pushed for a more worn look to be more interesting but I tried to go for subtle wear in this case, to align more with my reference. For a game-ready asset I could probably cut down on tris around the trigger guard and barrel as they wouldn't be seen in first-person and the ammo could be simplified too.

Thanks for looking :smile:
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    This is a very good model, nice job. I think the presentation is a little over-lit, it feels washed out and kind of gets in the way of the forms. Occlusion and reflections will help as well if it's not there.
  • Kroma!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kroma! polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Ben, I appreciate the feedback. I agree with you on the lighting; I was trying to show off the detail along the slide but probably went too far with it. Do you usually just stick with the light from the HDRI?

AO map was checked but the viewport AO from Toolbag was not on because it doesn't show up on metallic areas (I think) and most of the model is metal. Local reflections looked blurry even at 25x sampling so I left them off too.

Thanks again, I'll keep your words in mind for the future.