Home Technical Talk

[3DSMAX] Free form Splines (keep snapping to grid)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
OccultMonk interpolator
Free form modeling of splines in the viewport is a problem in 3DSMax. I am probably missing something. A while back they introduced the ability to rotate the viewport in 3Dsmax while editing the spline. But splines keep snapping to the grid while grid snapping is off. I just want to free form extrude splines in the view port. What would be the best solution? Something like in modo in this video at 7:20:

https://youtu.be/BinLlhiKgzY?t=452

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, it is annoying as the point always snaps to the XY plane in screen space but, it has nothing to do with grid snaps. I think it's just the way it is(some of the Graphite tools behave the same if you use the screen space options)I generally avoid the behaviour (and I use spline modeling a lot) as I always just lay down my start and end points in a 2D ortho view and use the refine tool to add knots and adjust on the fly in 3D ortho as I need them.

You cant extrude as you go as in the vid but, you can turn off 'start new shape', turn on vert snap and continue from an existing endpoint. Then just weld the verts when finished.

I'm sure if you use one of the workplane scripts for Max you can yield the same results as Modo.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Thanks! So basically there is no real solution. It seems such a simple thing. I hate creating free form splines in 3dsmax. Flat planar splines are no problem, even drawing splines on surfaces works better. Sometimes I just use topology and then convert it to a spline. There must be a better solution or script for this.
    I'm sure if you use one of the workplane scripts for Max you can yield the same results as Modo.
    Any tips how to do that?

• OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Does anyone have some other tips, solutions for free form spline modeling in 3dsmax?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry mate, forgot to check back. Check out this script:  http://cganimator.com/csworkplane-1-0/

It's free, works exactly like Modo's workplane, is very easy to use, and best of all it will give you the exact results you are after :) It's a collection of macros. I just use the 'Lock workplane to View'.

If you've never used Modo's workplane: it dynamically switches to whichever ortho plane is parallel to the viewport as you orbit, allowing you to model as though in left/top/front/etc whilst orbiting in 3D.

• OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Thanks for the link!
    I used modo, but not extensively.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem. Hope it helps. With it you will be able to replicate what Tor is doing in that vid. If you enable the spline as geo in the viewport and just draw out with the script active you will get the exact same result.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    You know a lot of useful maxscripts. I use many script (RappidTools, Rappa Tools, Polytools 3D Marius Silaghi etc). Do you maybe have a list of blogs/authors with useful script :smile:?
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
     Check out this script:  http://cganimator.com/csworkplane-1-0/

The script does not work as good as I hoped. It should use the last spline point as the origin of the grid. I guess now it uses the whole spline object origin?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max2017 has an 'orbit around mouse' feature. Pre-2017 Miauu has a script  for same.

Yes, Max scripting community is amazing. Probably the greatest strength Max has. I suppose I just come across them sometimes because I need something that does what I need, and other times it's random whilst searching, other times by recommendations.

I'm a firm believer in utilising as many scripts s I can to make my life easier.

Scriptspot.com is a great place to get started.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Max2017 has an 'orbit around mouse' feature. Pre-2017 Miauu has a script  for same.

Yes, Max scripting community is amazing. Probably the greatest strength Max has. I suppose I just come across them sometimes because I need something that does what I need, and other times it's random whilst searching, other times by recommendations.

I'm a firm believer in utilising as many scripts s I can to make my life easier.

Scriptspot.com is a great place to get started.
    Thanks again! It's not really about the orbit though. It seems that the guide plane itself is not located at the last draw point but rather at the center of the object. So the last drawn vertex is not the center, which it should be for it to work properly. Have you tried using it yourself? Maybe I am doing something wrong.

I know Scriptspot :-). It' just that I discover new scripts all the time. I have also coded a lot of maxscript myself over the years. I thought that you might have some tips for some really great scripts / modifiers, because you have a lot of knowledge in that area too.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    @musashidan Do you know how to contact Changsoo Eun. I tried to reach him on Twitter and Scriptspot. He does not seem to have a contact mail address on his site. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy busy but I'll run some tests when I can.

Thought you'd know scriptspot alright :)

Changsoo  is user  Gandhics here and at cgtalk. Here's his profile page. You might try  PM.

https://polycount.com/profile/reactions/gandhics
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    Thanks, I send a PM.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    @musashidan I understand you are very busy but if you get the change to test this sometime in the future it would be great.
  • OccultMonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    @musashidan: I tried to contact Changsoo but I got no response. Have you had time to test this? It works better with the script. But the center of the working grid is placed at the center of the object. It should be repositioned each time you extend/draw the spline.