Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Buck, Apex, Folding Knife

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
It's been a while since I've posted here, so I'm kinda far along in the process, but figured I'd post my backlog from Facebook, and keep up to date, going forward. Feedback and suggestions are always welcome, and thanks for checking it out, Cheers!

Personal project I'm working on in my free time for practice and learning
reference can be found here: http://www.buckknives.com/product/apex-knife/0818FAM01/

Oct 8th: started the highpoly.
A:

B:

C:

D:

E:

Oct 9th:
A: "sometimes I wonder if these small details are worth the difficulty of making them. Then, I say to myself... Hey, how'bout you just shut up and make'me. Cuz... yes, yes they are"

B: "Just need to get a blade on there... Anyone have experience with this? I'm thinking of taking it into zBrush and carving it out. Any ideas"?

C:

Oct 11th:
A: "Couldn't get the topology I wanted with the fuller hole already in it. I think it will work out better doing it this way"

B:

Oct 15th:
A: "Okay, so I redid the blade one last time. Some things were still not quite correct, and I just had to get it right. I feel much better now"

B:

Oct 16th: "Started the lowpoly process. It's been a while since I've done any sort of texture baking, so I did a test piece, with some texturing in Substance Painter". Not the final topology.

Oct 23rd: "Got the low-poly done, for the most part. Got a couple normal errors that need to be fixed. But... just had to play with the textures first, before I trash them, and fix the cage errors for bakes. So this is just Substance Painter practice run".

Replies