Home Technical Talk

Trouble with GetVertNormalsFromFace script with 3ds Max 2017

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
TheGabmeister interpolator
I'm currently working on hard-surface modeling in Max and am looking for tools that would assist in my workflow. Recently I stumbled upon SyncViewS' GetVertNormalsFromFace script which would be extremely and reduce the tedious activity of manually editing vertex normals one face at a time. However, I'm having trouble making the script work in 3ds Max 2017.

I've followed the instructions from this old thread:
http://polycount.com/discussion/75753/editing-vertex-normals-in-max-got-scripts

It seems that I'm in the same boat as the others where running the script does not do anything. I've checked that my object is an Editable Poly and made sure that all faces are in one smoothing group, selected a face, ran the script, and nothing happened. Currently using Max 2017 on WIndows 10 64-bit.

Should I use an older version of Max to make the script work? Or maybe others are also experiencing this issue?

The script I'm using came from the Polycount Wiki:
http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/File:GetVertNormalsFromFace_0_2.ms.zip

Replies

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    So maybe you tried this, but you didn't say. This is a MacroScript definition. You run the script once to install it. Then you go to Customize | Customize User Interface | Keyboard | Category | Normal Tools to bind it to a hotkey.
  • TheGabmeister
    Offline / Send Message
    TheGabmeister interpolator
    monster said:
    So maybe you tried this, but you didn't say. This is a MacroScript definition. You run the script once to install it. Then you go to Customize | Customize User Interface | Keyboard | Category | Normal Tools to bind it to a hotkey.
    Oh snap. This totally solved my problem. I had a feeling that the answer was right in front of me, and I wasn't using the script the right way. Thanks a lot.