Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Self Portrait - Work in Progress

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Avcat vertex
I have a project to create a self portrait so I'll be uploading progress shots as I go. Feedback very welcome as It's the first time I've done any sort of human sculpting :)

Replies

• Avcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex
    I started off by taking a ton of photos of myself I was recommended a few different pieces of software to scan myself and give me a base model to go off. After numerous tries, I found the 123DCatch app on my phone worked the best and gave me this model which wasn't totally deformed. 
  • Avcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex
    I cut off all the excess model and used quad draw to retopologise the face then with front and side images of my face alongside, I latticed the model a little though I may have hindered myself more than helped at that point...
  • Avcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex
    I took that model into Zbrush to try and get it to look a bit more like me and so went into a bit more detail to get the eyes, nose and mouth the right shape. I'm pretty pleased with it so far...
  • DeanJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeanJ polycounter lvl 3
    I would recommend starting from scratch using dynamesh and a few good photos. You will learn way more about the structure of the face if you try to build up the form this way.
     I feel like adding detail to soon or worrying about topology before you need to will complicate this too much

• Giacomo X
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giacomo X polycounter lvl 6
    DeanJ said:
    I would recommend starting from scratch using dynamesh and a few good photos. You will learn way more about the structure of the face if you try to build up the form this way.
     I feel like adding detail to soon or worrying about topology before you need to will complicate this too much...
    This, a thousand times. The forms on that model are really "squishy" and I guarantee you'll have far more control (and you'll learn a lot more) if you build it out by hand.  The functionality of that 123catch app looks amazing, but it can't do the sculptural work for you if you don't have the artistic skills.
  • Avcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex
    Giacomo X said:
    DeanJ said:
     I feel like adding detail to soon or worrying about topology before you need to will complicate this too much...
    This, a thousand times. The forms on that model are really "squishy" and I guarantee you'll have far more control (and you'll learn a lot more) if you build it out by hand.  The functionality of that 123catch app looks amazing, but it can't do the sculptural work for you if you don't have the artistic skills.
    Would you say building it in Zbrush or box modelling with front and side views in Maya? I figured getting the base model from 123DCatch would help me with the proportions of my basic features. 
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Hey, Avcat, you're off to a good start, but I think using something like 123DCatch is more of a crutch for you at this stage. You should learn to hit the proportions by hand.

I would start with a base mesh built in Maya. Keep it low-resolution. Then bring it into ZBrush and work slowly, only subdividing when absolutely necessary. There really aren't any shortcuts. Just careful measurement and adjustment.

Here's my base mesh as an example.

It's probably higher-resolution than it needs to be, but it gets the job done. Notice the loops around the eyes and mouth. Also notice that it's all quads with clean and even density. 

Hope this helps!
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Also, study the planes of the face!

• travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    I definitely wouldn't use 123DCatch in the beginning, but instead start it completely from zbrush to build that experience/fundamental in building the human head from scratch.

Keep your model dynameshed in low resolution till you get the right proportions/silhouette. This'll prevent you from having a muddy/wobbly mesh when making adjustments (smoothing will be easier/faster too).
  • Avcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex
    Thanks for all the help. I went back and re worked the model and while I know it's still not perfect, due to time constraints I had to move on. I've now got the model in unreal, mostly textured and ready for my first interim assessment. However I'm having an issue with hair which I'm not sure how to fix. It's fizzing badly when I capture a movie and I couldn't find anything when googling it. So if anyone knows how to stop it, or any other advice, the help would be most appreciated. 
    https://youtu.be/-BvT16nTUhA

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    I think the fizzing you are referring to is the dithering your material uses, the impact of this can be fixed by capturing at a higher resolution, you can also try changing around the values of the material.
  • Avcat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avcat vertex
    That did help a lot thanks. the final version is in my showreel here
    https://youtu.be/o6_bWzj1TcI