Home Technical Talk

Photoshop .psd file completely black??!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I just recently saved a .psd file of a texture I was working on that had a good number of layers as I was closing Photoshop, after which I shut down Windows. I am not sure if the file saved completely before the shut down.
 I later open it and all the layers are gone and only a black background layer showing. Using bridge, the preview is completely black.
I have tried the right click, restore previous version, no points to restore. I am guessing the file is now corrupt. Any way to fix it or it's as good as gone?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like it's gone. You should use an incremental backup system, I've been saved many times by mine, when a file is suddenly corrupted. In fact, just yesterday, with a Max file. Saved a lot of rework!
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had the auto save feature on in Photoshop CS6. I think I did a disk cleanup earlier in the day hence my auto-recover folder was empty when I tried to recover the back up file. Better approach would be to have 2 backup files and manually save them out each time to avoid issues.

Learnt my lesson. Thanks Eric.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autosave only saves temp files for crash recovery. These are purged when exiting normally.

I wish they had an autobackup function of cycling files, but can see why they did it this way.

The system I use is a global live backup for all files, using Crashplan, which backs up incremental versions to both a local drive and to their cloud server.

So once it's setup I don't have to do anything or change my workflow.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, cool. Thanks for the suggestion, mate :)