Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Long term project: animated short NEOHACKER

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Sigmatron interpolator
  Greetings fellows. It is been a long time since my latest post here. For a quite some time i had an idea an urge to make some complex project on which i will work on my spare time. So i decided to make an animated short. Need to learn a lot but I am not in a hurry so i will take my time:)
  I wanted to start this thread earlier even wrote the firts post but draft didn't saved and and i get very angry...so yeah, few month later I am doing it again but now I have something to show.
  First, what i want to achive:
  3-5 min long animated short rendered in UE4. Right now my project titled "Neohacker".
Action takes place in a which i like to call "dirty mid 90's cyberpunk" but with social networks and augmented reality. Data security is on so high level that old school hacking to expensive and time consuming so if you want to get data you need to hack a weakest link the chain - a person. That's i guess is all details i need to tell because rest i want to show you at some
point. Oh and I want to credit some stuff which inspired me, that will help show what I want to do.
At first it is one of my favorite games: Hotline Miami and it soundtrack. Comic book series "Blacksad",  "HYPER-REALITY" short by Keiichi Matsuda, Overwatch and a lot of different stuff.
  Phew, now let's hop into the real deal. First I decided to start from main character to catch the artstyle. Right now he has
a temporary rig made in modo just to be set in some simple poses in preview purpuse. I am very like modo it is a great application but after all i will make animation rig in maya(i'm learning python right now).

What i am planning to do next:
1. Model a viechle
2. Create basic storyboard
3. Model piece of outdoor enviromet
4. Rig character and make simple idle animation
5. Create test scene in UE4 with redy assets in wich i will test stuff
6. ...
7. Profit!
Thats for reading:) It would be great to see your critique and feedback.

Replies

• Rawbert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rawbert polycounter lvl 5
    Really cool character!
    I love the piece that is surrounding his mouth.
    The only thing that bothers me abit is the textures, they feel flat and unfinished.
  • Yoji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    I'm so following this! Love your take on it! <3 Can't wait to see what you come up with. That animation concept is promising.  I'm a huge fan of your tastes!
  • Sigmatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator
    Rawbert said:
    The only thing that bothers me abit is the textures, they feel flat and unfinished.

Thanks for feedback. I call them minimalistical :D. Actually I am aiming for simplistic pbr texture style, cartoonish pbr. But i am agree with, you at least forearms and pants needs some more work. After setting base scene with some props i will come back to this problem, will havе youe remark in mind.
    Yoji said:
    I'm so following this! Love your take on it! <3 Can't wait to see what you come up with. That animation concept is promising.  I'm a huge fan of your tastes!
    Glad you liked it! Still a lot of work to do. Thinking ahead I am most concerned about quality of animations. Good and flued movement is no joke, especially melee fight. Maybe will use stylized approach with some camera tricks, dunno, but i am sure it will be a lot of fun to figure it out.
  • Muffin347
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muffin347 null
    This looks awesome man :)

If you're after a more "minimalist" look on your textures without them feeling flat, try exaggerating some of the details you've decided to add in a little bit.

The stitching on the vest for example! I really like the pattern and shape you've chosen, if you make the wrinkles surrounding them a little more obvious and the stitching stick out a little more, you might find the aesthetic of it all come together a bit clearer. This goes for the pants and especially the belt as well. I think it especially looks a little simple right now because of the pattern on the bat is very crowded and more detailed next to the plain vest and pants. I think you've nailed it on the head when it comes to the face and the mask (looks sick!), if you have the same approach when it comes to everything else this'll really come together :) 

I'm really keen to see what becomes of this!