Home General Discussion

Ratio of 2d/3d artists

kwyjibo
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
I realise this is might be a somewhat "it depends.." question, but in studios of varying sizes, what is the usual ratio of concept/2d artists to 3d artists?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    1 concept artist

Two+ 3D Artists (perhaps even more)

We only have one dedicated concept artist on our end, though several of us are capable of doing designs as well when the time calls for it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ratio is alnost always low for concept-only artists at 3d game studios. 

Art Directors, Lead Artists (and sometimes Senior Artists) are expected to do concept art as needed, if no dedicated concept artist is available.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    We have 3 concept artists and ~40 (probably less, I've never thought to count) 3D artists onsite.
  • marcmarti3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo said:
    I realise this is might be a somewhat "it depends.." question, but in studios of varying sizes, what is the usual ratio of concept/2d artists to 3d artists?
    indeed, and it depends if the studio is specialized on 2D games, 3D games or 2d & 3D games too.
    Anyway, In that last case, I would say 60% - 40% (2D - 3D)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    2 dedicated concept artists + about 2 marketing artists + ~ 3 "other". You could add UI/UX artists as they mainly work in 2D as well.

In my studio the ratio is ~12 (2d) to 100 (3d and animation).

However our studio was previously all 3D and we work in collaboration with other studios that cover other art areas. 2D art here is on the rise though. I expect a more balanced "Stand alone" studio with all jobs under one roof the ratio would be about 1 in 4.
  • kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    thanks for the reply guys. Reason I asked is to confirm my suspicion that my studio has too few 3d artists.