Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Gotham Alleyway Crime Scene - Guidance & Critiques Appreciated!

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
Hey everyone,

I'm going to be trying to build out my first full scene using UE4 based on this concept.  I've focused more on prop art, but want to attempt to build up a full scene and learn UE4 as well.

I'm probably going to remove Batman from the scene, to put more focus on the environment. I was thinking it might be neat to have his iconic shadow casting on the floor as if he's just approaching.

I'm going to block it out in MAX first and then move it into UE4.

The only thing I'm not really sure of it how to approach the walls and floor.  Would it make sense to build out a few modular "chunks" with tileable textures?  From what I understand I could then use vertex painting to add some variation to break up the tiling?  Does anyone have a good tutorial for this type of thing?

I appreciate any guidance and critiques along the way.

Thanks!

Replies

• PolyBrother
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyBrother polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, you could create modular sidewalk/alley pieces, and then modular wall pieces for the buildings. There are a number of tutorials out there that explain such a workflow.

You can find one here as well: http://polycount.com/discussion/144838/ue4-modular-building-set-breakdown/p1
    Can't critique much else until the blockout is done. Good luck!
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the link @PolyBrother

I've started blocking working on the blockout in MAX and started the barricade prop. Textures are a WIP.

Is there a trick to matching perspective of a scene concept? I've setup a camera in MAX and tried to mess with it to get it close, but some areas are still quite off.

• Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    In regards to matching the concept... I'd play around with your FOV, that will dramatically adjust the way your perspective looks but be aware that sometimes concept art won't have correct perspective and some may just DIY a custom FOV for the look they want.

Also, the barricade prop looks way too hard edged, forgive me if it's just a blockout but because it has a texture it means it's UV'd and I kinda of just assumed you had stepped passed your modelling passes.

Concept choice is lovely though, get cracking! :)
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks @Kid.in.the.Dark
    I'll try to play with the FOV.  The barricade is definitly too hard-edged right now, I just quickly slapped it together to test some textures, I'll be doing a proper high-poly pass on it.