Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Quick Rig tool - adding finger joints?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Justo polycounter
I'm posing a character and decided to try out 2016 ext 2's new quick rig tool, which so far gives cool results for this task, though it gives no finger joints. I made some joints manually and am trying to attach it to this rig, but parenting before/after the skinning to the wrist joint doesn't seem to be doing anything. Anyone has any idea how to add finger joints using this tool?  

Replies

• Danndx
    Offline / Send Message
    Danndx null
    Unbind the skin, add your joints into the joint reference hierarchy and then rebind

I just tested it now, you get annoying transform nodes but the joint weights and control connections carried over just perfectly!

I'd show you a before and after image of the character posed... but they're identical :wink:

Edit: Use the insert joints tool instead if you don't want those transforms and move to match your current finger joints
  • Justo
    Offline / Send Message
    Justo polycounter
    @Danndx Hi man, thanks for helping. Your solution got me halfway through though, unless I'm mistaken. The thing with doing that is that curves and all FK/IK behavior is lost, since I'm just rebinding this to a bunch of loose joints. Am I missing something? 

• jasoncbraatz
    This is one of those old threads that I thought I'd add to, since I was running into this issue myself and figured I'd just be a yammer pie about how I think the workflow with humanik quickrig is both great and crappy at the same time.

i believe that the bipedal character setup that quickrig provides is meant "literally" as quickrig.  Not just a feature.. but sort of self explanatory.  No fingers, toes, of course no facial stuff.. anyway.. i think it's meant to reallly get a dirty rig done on bipedal geometry quickly but nothing more.

That all said, create a new skeleton using the default HumanIK menu.  The skeleton is purple - of course - making sure that we all know that it's different than the yellow quickrig skeletons.  parenting hand bones to a quick rig skeleton is like putting a new ferrrari gearshifter inside of a 1983 mazda.  the joint orientation is OK but the joint sizes are all different and it ends up breaking the IK (which is what happened in the picture) because the IK handles get setup upon the quickrig process.

With a new skeleton, though, pose the skeleton inside of the geometry (doesn't have to be perfect) and skin it.. yes, yes, yes.. this does ruin any chances of this being a "quick rig" - literally - since now we're actually rigging something for real... but the results are better [and] characterizing it with HumanIK means that it's mocap'able just like any other quick rig character.

Ok.  enough bloviating.  I don't think this is ever going to be something that a quick rig process will fully support since it's not what it's intended for.  HumanIK as a skeleton set is the "step up" but either requires influence painting (ewww.) or playing with a delta mush deformer to keep volume or something.  Fingers are too close together so the solver to do a quick rig for a hand would have to be quite exhaustive.. and in the end I'm not sure it'd still be reliable.  So my vote is to go with a HumanIK skeleton and rig+skin the old fashioned way but characterizing it will give you the benefits that is shared with quickrig.
  • Mark Dygert
    yep I agree, quick rig is meant for just simple rigs that plug into human IK and motion builder. MB and HIK focus on limb and full body IK and motion capture, they don't care about fingers or toes. Of course you can try to graft new systems on top of quick rig/human IK but it will never respect or care about your additions and those changes might actually break HIK.

Personally I really like Advanced Skeleton. http://www.animationstudios.com.au/advanced-skeleton