Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rexxar, Last son of the Mok'Nathal

Ben_Fr
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Ben_Fr vertex
Hello! Finally got the time to work on something own.
Sculpting Rexxar from Warcraft Universe 
The main concept from the "Heroes of the Storm" 
Please, i really need some critique of proportions & anatomy  :P

W.I.P.

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Looking cool so far!
    It'll be easier to give anatomy critique if you show the base body without armor, and also post a back view. :)
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    Wendy de Boer said:
    Looking cool so far!
    It'll be easier to give anatomy critique if you show the base body without armor, and also post a back view. :)
    Thanks so much !! Here a couple of screenshots from Zbrush :smile:

• Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you have some nice meaty proportions so far. There are some mistakes with the anatomy, though.

The main thing that stands out to me is the front of the thigh. Your rectus femoris goes up too high and is too wide at the top. You missed the sartorius and the tensor fasciae latae.

Note that of the quad muscles, only the vastus medialis makes it down all the way to the kneecap. The rectus femoris and the vastus lateralis are connected to the kneecap with tendon only.

In the chest and shoulders, you appear to have basically all the correct sections of muscle. I think the clavicular head of the pectoralis major and the anterior head of the deltoid could converge more near the armpit, though. There should also be a little triangular space between the pecs and the deltoid, exposing a small part of the clavicle.

I think the shape of the pecs themselves could be squared off and flattened a little bit. They seem a little too rounded and poofy.

Here's an anatomy draw-over for clarification.

As for the back, you missed the medial border of the scapula. On a muscular person, the medial border of the scapula is noticeable as an indented line. The teres major muscle starts at the bottom corner of the scapula.

The medial border of the scapula also provides the attachment point for the rhomboids, which you missed. The rhomboids pass under the trapezius muscle and attach to the spine.

Here's an anatomy draw-over of the back as well. I hope these help!

• razzman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    razzman polycounter lvl 7
    Hi!
    Nice clean model so far!
    What i would do, is to take a closer look for  face/head details - especially the jawline and the upper mouth cavities (more closer to your concept- where there is no folds around the upper mouth and the jaw is more massive/masculine). Those fangs are tad too spread also, and i would pump up the veins a bit more.

Cheers,

R.
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    Wendy de Boer 
    Thank you so much for such a detailed analysis of anatomy! Amazing!
    I also found a serious problem in the arrangement of the muscles in the back and chest (Rexxar seems to be too thick and relaxed because of the incorrect rib cage arrangement & exaggerated pectoral and trapezius muscles)
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    razzman
    Thanks a lot!!
    Next step - detailing his head and modifying 
    according to the concept :P

• Lucospade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    Wendy always kills it with critique. This community is lucky to have her.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    solid sculpt, love it so far. subbed.
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    Lucospade Yes, indeed! :)
    lotet Thanks so much, man!!))
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    Hi!!))
    Small update here ^^
    Posted on artstation too)
    artstation.com/artwork/OXOVv

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I think his pecs and trapezius muscles are waay to over inflated, even for blizzard standard. other then that Its looking awesome, especially love the scars. 
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I like the way the face looks with the hood. I agree with @lotet on the pecs though. :)
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    lotet thank you so much! Pectoral and trapezius are really too inflated, 
    I had not noticed this before :сс
    Thank you so much Wendy de Boer!:)
  • charlesmandracchia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Wendy...This is an incredible, terrific character. As good as any of the best. Keep in mind everyone said Barbra Streisands nose was too big to sing. Your character was born from you and that's that! Not everyone is perfect or anatomically correct. It will be unique to you! Don't change a thing to please anyone except yourself!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @charlesmandracchia : Any feedback I give is only intended to help. It's up to the artist to decide whether they want to implement any of it.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Hi Wendy...This is an incredible, terrific character. As good as any of the best. Keep in mind everyone said Barbra Streisands nose was too big to sing. Your character was born from you and that's that! Not everyone is perfect or anatomically correct. It will be unique to you! Don't change a thing to please anyone except yourself!
    No offence, but that sounds like horrible advice for an artist.  of course we all have our own style and personality, and that should shine through in our art. but saying anatomical issues should not be fixed because we are all special snowflakes it a pretty bad attitude if you want to improve.

on top of that I kind of feel like you are implying the things "wrong" with our art is the things that makes us unique, not the things that are right. :(

@Ben_Fr
     sorry I kinda went of in a tangent like this but I felt It was important o adress this. if not, well then just please ignore this and move on.  :p
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    Thank you for your kind words, Charles , I have posted this work on polycount, because needed critique and good advice :)

Wendy, thank you so much for help, i really appreciate this  :p

Lotet, you are absolutely right. To improve the skills, it's very important to understand own mistakes and follow the advices :smile: 
  • Smashotron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smashotron null
    Great work!  You are getting really close the concept. I think I agree with lotet though.
    lotet said:
    I think his pecs and trapezius muscles are waay to over inflated, even for blizzard standard. other then that Its looking awesome, especially love the scars. 
    I cant help but get a Batman vibe from his Cowl. Fun piece.
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    Sorry for such a late answer Smashotron. Thank you so much!! I tried getting closer to concept as far as could :)
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Really digging the cowl. You put a great twist to it !

Also agree with the overall consensus that some of his muscles look like baloons rather than solid muscles.
  • Ben_Fr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben_Fr vertex
    Ouran thanks so much man! Appreciate this :)