Home Technical Talk

Substance Designer: Render Problem: iRay is fine OpenGL is black

Devon M
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Devon M polycounter lvl 4
Hello. Title explains my problem. Here is what I'm working with.

Substance Designer 5.5.1.129
Video: Geforce GTX 460
RAM: 16gig
Processor: i7 2.67GHz

In my render window, when it's set to iRay the render shows up correctly. However, if I switch it to OpenGL the render turns all black. Pictures below.

With iRay Render: http://puu.sh/roCbj/5c1c82f4f4.jpg
With OpenGL Render: http://puu.sh/roCdY/e72a623558.jpg

I love the way iRay renders. It looks beautiful. However, it bogs my computer down when I have it rendering as I'm building my material. I really don't want to have to pause the render just so I can run efficiently, then un-pause so I can see the results. So I thought I'd always run in OpenGL so I can see as I'm building, and then when I'm finished I can check it out in iRay render. 

Is there a way to make iRay renders work more efficiently on my computer so it doesn't bog me down? I noticed a setting at the bottom corner of the render saying "Photoreal." Here is a screenshot:http://puu.sh/roCEo/113e537e70.jpg

Can this setting be lowered?

In any case, I feel like I'm getting off topic. 

Problem to be solved: In my render window, OpenGL is black but iRay is great. Pictures provided above.

Thank you everyone.

Replies

• JGallagher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGallagher polycounter lvl 3
    What are your material settings? Have you tried right clicking in the graph area and selecting "Show outputs in 3d"?
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Devon M polycounter lvl 4
    @JGallagher Oh my...-.- I thought that when I created a project in PBR with metallic/roughness, that the material in the viewport would also be that...Guess I shouldn't have assumed that =/ 

Just to make sure I did this correctly, I went to (in the viewport)...

Materials > Default > Definitions > physically_metallic_roughness > Parallax Occlusion

Doing this, seemingly, got it to work.

Before I did this, it was set to...

Materials > Default > Definitions > relief [Default]

I do have a question about that "Parallax Occlusion" setting though, because there was a second option I could have chose, "Tesselation." What are the differences between the two options?

Also, do you (or anybody) know of a way to work in iRay without it bogging my performance down?

Thank you so much for stating the very first thing I should have tried =P Thank you thank you. 
  • JGallagher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGallagher polycounter lvl 3
    @Devon M I think the difference between parallax and tessellation is that one actually alters the geometry and the other just gives the illusion that it does. I"m not 100% sure on it though, I'm fairly new to the whole 3d world. 

I would think the performance of iRay would be down to your video card. I believe in the preferences you can make sure that iRay is actually using your video card and not just your CPU. Other than that though, the only solution would be to upgrade the video card. I think most people work in OpenGL then use iRay to showcase the substance/asset.