Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lil' Cat Character Based on Ryota Murayama's Design (Critiques Please :))

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ManuelDeJorge interpolator
Hi!  I tried to work on this stuff during my free time at work. I've chosen Ryota Murayama (ovopack) character due to its interesting character features. Sorry I dunnow what creature is this xD 
Tools Used:Zbrush, Blender, 3D Coat and Photoshop

model

Replies

• Natland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Natland polycounter lvl 9
    I didn't have much time so this is kind of rushed sorry. I can send you the PSD if you want.
    One thing I would do is maybe put a faint gradient on her from top to bottom, I didn't add that in the image.

Good luck! :)
  • ManuelDeJorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! I try to work this if I have free time! :) I forgot to add some top lighting. xD 
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is gonna look great with the lighting!
  • Dvolution
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvolution polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Manuel!  Great concept choice.  Ovopack's work is a lot of fun.

I think you're off to a great start, but in my opinion there are some areas that can be improved.  One, if you're going for a self-lit character, you'll definitely want to define the forms a lot more then you have so far.  Greater ranges of values and color shifts as planar changes occur will do wonders for this.  As well as painting in some lighting.  How much and how strong the lighting is will be dependent on what your end goal is.  Two, the colors in your texture are a bit off from the concept.  If this was an intentional decision, more power to you; however, if you had wanted to re-create the concept as closely as possible, don't be afraid of color picking from the reference.  Three, your material definition needs to be stronger.  Especially if you're going the self-lit route.  Metal needs to read as metal, glass as glass, etc.  Look at reference photos of the materials you're attempting to convey to study what makes them appear as they are.  Four, you've definitely made the character have feminine features (the large hips and musculature around midsection), which again if it's a conscious deviation from the source is fine, but otherwise, I'd tone it down to more closely resemble what the concept depicts (soften the muscled areas and lessen the hip flare).   And five, I'd thicken up most of the straps you have on the character.  I know they're pretty thin in the concept, but they're getting lost on the model right now.

Here is a quick paint-over to show what I'm referring to:

If you save the gif and open it in Photoshop, you can toggle between the two frames.  Hope at least some of this was helpful.  Keep up the good work!
  • ManuelDeJorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dvolution Thanks a lot! I tried to apply this principle, its really helpful to make the character pop out btw, I used to make a top lighting on a model and bake it which is also helpful.