Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mobile Suit Hizack / GM Quel

Swaggletooth
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
I'm going back to another piece I started a while back to finish it off, I'm going to finish off getting the basic shape down before getting into the greebles again.

Background info - this is intended to be a blend of 2 suits from Zeta Gundam / Stardust Memory: the Hizack and the GM Quel; the idea being to make a more "Federation" styled Hizack.

Replies

• robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    Ooh,  I'm looking forward to this one! ^_^
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Me, too! Big Gundam fan, I build the plastic kits and have thought about trying to take it to 3d.
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    Same here ^_^ 
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pongstah polycounter lvl 12
    Excited to see this all textured and shiny.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys!

One massive help with working on this are of course the many Gunpla kit guides you can find online, and in this case I was able to get the HG and MG guides. These are really great for not only showing front / back view schematics, but also showing the shape of component parts (though these are always shown at an angle, you get an idea of what's needed where).

pongstah said:
    Excited to see this all textured and shiny.
    I'm thinking of doing 2 versions, one in standard Titans colours and another that follows fighter jet colouring / gloss values. I can't wait to get texturing!
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies for the lack of updates, I've been sidetracked with quite a few things lately. Anyway, here's where it stands now:

I've fixed up the proportions on the chest area, I just need to finish blocking out the hands, backpack, shield and gun. Then its on to greebles, finishing my UV mapping and then fun part of texturing =]

When it comes to melee weapons, I'm leaning more towards the heat hawk since I imagine that would look pretty cool with an emissive map - but that's if I have time for that.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting close to finishing the modelling now! I'm quite pleased with how this is turning out.

• Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The main body is now finished and UV mapped! All I can say is that I'm glad I unwrapped each part as I went along, just arranging those into one massive atlas has been one of the most complicated unwraps I've ever done.

I still need to add a sight to the gun, but I'll be starting on the textures shortly :]

(I know that unwraps are hardly exciting, but phew. I'm glad to be done with this one for the time being)
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got a bit sidetracked by an art test, anyway I've got into texturing at least. I'm certainly going to need to tweak it, toning down the bare metal and generally making some things a lot more subtle. A mech is a surprisingly hard thing to get right :f

• Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've refined the textures quite a bit, I think I'm much happier with the more subdued colouring and edge wear.

I'm now moving on to rigging... hopefully I can get some more interesting scenes up soon!

On a sidenote, I can't believe how much better the lighting is in Toolbag 3. Surprisingly the textures look a lot better as well when switching between 2 and 3.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the first post with an updated render. Took me a while to get around to rigging it, but hey ho!

Now I just need to do a texture variation, strike some cool poses and come up with a diorama for a snazzy render.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm pretty much done with this for now, I might throw a few more renders up but it would be good to draw a line under this.

More screens and stuff here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/n8WwX

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it looks good,some of the phong shading looks really rounded on stuff that seems kind of flat which is odd. It would look really cool with something to show its scale and some more dramatic lighting.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I might need to resmooth some bits to get the phong looking right, I was hoping I had enough chamfering to avoid that.

Something to give a sense of scale would be cool - like a set of buildings / etc, but that would be a whole extra project! I'll see what more I feel like doing.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a bit of a bump from the dead, but after learning about weighted normals (yeah, please don't laugh!) I was pleasantly surprised by how much improvement I could get to a model. I'm much happier with the results I can get.

Also, I went back and rejigged the renders with more interesting skyboxes (see first post above) - the flat black of space isn't so interesting when you're using IBL. I'd like to think these look at least more dramatic now.

Long story short, weighted normals are magic and I'm going to be using them all the time now!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    latest render looks much better, well done!