Home Quixel Megascans

Landscape Material Setup in UE4

Hi all,

I'm probably being a bit dense, but is anyone able to weigh in on a material setup using the textures output from Studio? I'm currently outputting 4 x textures at 4k:

Albedo (set to srgb)
R/M/AO (set to mask in compression and unticked srgb)
Normal (flipped green channel)
Displacement (Green Channel)

The largest issue appears to be that the textures look quite good in shadow, but the Albedo suffers from super low contrast and losing all the low end when in direct light. To try to fix this I've multiplied the Albedo by the AO as the base colour. However, the larger height features are now generating very ugly black shadows. It seems I either lower the AO multiply and lose all detail, or keep the AO multiplied and suffer really large, hard black shadows.

Similarly, I'm finding the roughness maps to be very low detail.

Does anyone have any example surface material setups that come somewhere close to the preview as seen on the website or even in Studio itself? I'm really keen to lock in a workflow that'll allow me a faster and standardised output from Studio.

Thanks

Replies

• Maximum-Dev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For us multiplying the AO on Albedo works better.
    The roughness maps look very similar for all materials.. so we modify them a little to give each material more character.
    We also multiply a color on Albedo where necessary for art direction.
    I'm not sure what you meant by Displacement (Green Channel).
    We currently put roughness in normal map's Blue channel and we pack each three material's displacement into a single RGB map.