Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

xtreme hyper deluxe fantasy bike custom

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
pongstah polycounter lvl 12

model

I'm building a sports bike and would like some cc on it. I see on my references that some have rear shock absorbers on only one side.  I don't understand how this is possible.

Replies

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Detailing the rear suspension highpoly mesh of my bike prop. My first superbike mesh, so exciting!

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adding some decorative detail. Here trying to see what stencil patterns might work and look good.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did more searching of reference pics. Not really sure what the functions of each individual parts are but I'm so fascinated by the design aestheticsthat I think it's worth pushing the level of detail some more and turn it into a hero prop.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further development of my shapes. Quite happy with the way its looking.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A color study. Last one for today.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked the silhouette to make it look more agile and started adding detail to the underside panel.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another color study and also started refining the shape of the headlamps.

• ctcopple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctcopple polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, as a avid motorcycle rider myself maybe i could help you with this. 1. most factory motorcycles have a swingarm that is a U shape like this 
    yours looks like a custom swingarm that is fine, a lot of people like the look of a single sided swingarm. 2. most people don't know that the engine is 4 cylinders that sit left to right like 
    this, that is what gives the bike its width and yours looks a little skinny. hope that helps if you need any more help don't hesitate to ask about a certain part.
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctcopple said:
    Looking good, as a avid motorcycle rider myself maybe i could help you with this. 1. most factory motorcycles have a swingarm that is a U shape like this 
    yours looks like a custom swingarm that is fine, a lot of people like the look of a single sided swingarm.
    Cool pics, thanks for sharing these. Having reference pics for the individual parts really helps as I can't makeout some of the details on the pics I've found. This view is exactly what I need to help me model the swingarm as I can clearly see its actual shape and infer on how it attaches to the bike.
    2. most people don't know that the engine is 4 cylinders that sit left to right like 
    this, that is what gives the bike its width and yours looks a little skinny. hope that helps if you need any more help don't hesitate to ask about a certain part.
    Yes I think I can make the body a bit more wider like in the reference pic. Haven't gotten to detailing the engine yet but this will come in handy when I get to that part. Right now working my way around it trying to nail down the basic shapes before diving into the tiny details and functional parts.

Thanks a lot for the valuable info, I'll most certainly ask for your advice when I get stuck.
  • pointcache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pointcache polycounter lvl 6
    i would ride that bike.
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll try to make it look as cool as I can.

Started working on the disc brake first. Since it can be a modular piece on its own,
    I figured I can add detail to it without worrying too much on how it affects the dimensions of my motorcycle's chassis.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the calipers.
    It's not accurate but I think I managed to get enough detail for a good bake.
    Quite proud of myself after a hard days work.

C&Cs appreciated. I'm trying to make the functioning parts look as realistic as I  possibly can.

https://youtu.be/AJq1zHIsq2A
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoomed out to work on the general silhouette.

• commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good! The calipers are great, although the 4 mounting bosses look a bit sharp. Just to add more to a "fantasy" bike, why not go over the top? Check out single sided swing arms. Lots of Ducati and Triumph bikes use those. Great for showing off custom wheels. Maybe choose a more "exotic" engine configuration over an inline four as well? The Aprilia RSV4 has a V4 engine. Rather unique, but really compact and lots of power. Sounds awesome as well :D
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for pointing that out, i'll add a chamfer to it on my second detail pass to soften the outer edges a bit. A V4 engine sounds like a cool idea to give it a more exotic feel. I don't really know much about super bikes and the technical aspect of motorcycles, I'm more of a car person but seeing those slick tires up close and hearing the engine sound reverberate on the walls is really something to marvel at. Thanks for the suggestions i'll look them up.
  • pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking in the rest of the motorcycle. Also did another color variant.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a very quick box modeling of the license plate mounting bracket just to get some nice and random shapes flowing.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to squeeze in a few minutes off my busy schedule to work on this today.
    Zoomed out again to do a very quick and sloppy massaging of the major forms.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a few quick thumbnail test render. Still far off but it's getting there.

• pongstah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Collated the color variants into a chart for visual reference
    and made a turntable anim of the mesh's current state.
    http://i.imgur.com/keRGH58.jpg

https://youtu.be/dBgUQ8lbwTo