Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique - I want to do all of the things

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys!

So, I have been freelancing for quite some time now, and as my work starts to accumulate, I am starting to not like how my portfolio website is laid out. I feel like it's super inefficient and confusing. And also probably doesn't look that cool. 

My main problem I think is that I purposefully don't have 1 focus, and enjoy and want to keep working in multiple industries professionally. 

I am gunning for jobs as a character artist in film, the music industry, games, fine art, and toys.

I'd really appreciate it if you all could take a look and give me an honest opinion on what I can do to improve how things are laid out to maximize efficiency when I'm applying for jobs or potential employers are checking out my page.

You can check it out here:

http://www.robertborashan.com

Thanks!  <3

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Website design wise, I'd actually think having smaller squares, like Gavin Goulden does, will help keep the website look succinct and have less scrolling happen.
  • polaroid29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
    @Brian thanks for the input, you are definitely right. I've just updated it a bit with a different layout that starts with images right away without any clicking. Not sure if it's any better. Maybe I will ditch all of that and just dump thumbnails of all of the images on the main page
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    There's nothing wrong with your layout, the problem is that you put too many different stuff in the same portfolio.

Let's say you send this portfolio for a character art position in video games. The way it looks now I have too actively search for character related stuff in your portfolio. That takes too long and most recruters have no time to waste.

A good idea would be to split your stuff in several different portfolios. Let's say one for character art, one for toys and another one for fine art stuff.