Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Ready Photogrametry Tree Stump Model

Thundercliffe
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Thundercliffe polycounter lvl 6

Hey everyone, Been practicing photogrametry and getting a full workflow and managed to finish my first low poly model created from scan data. 

The scan was created using a canon 500d and rendered in agisoft.

Managed to create the final low poly model in Topogun and baked out the textures in Knald and Xnormal. ive added some breakdown images showing the full render as well as the normal details. ive also added a comparrison between the scan data and the final low poly bake.

Admittedly the tris count could be lower but thats what Lods are for ;)

You can also see a marmoset viewer file (couldnt figure out how to add it to polycount) on my artstation so you can orbit it and take a look for yourself at the final model.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3mzvA

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    The tone of the wood is very nice, feels natural and looks physically accurate! =D The detail in the scan is excellent.

Great example of tech, though I don't think it's quite "game ready"! It is very geometrically dense for what I can assume is a small prop/part of the environment? I bet a lot of that geometry could just be deleted without any noticeable effect in the silhouette. Even with LODs I'd say at LOD 0 you're still probably a bit overkill =P

You could probably run ProOptimize in 3DS Max and see what that churns out (or any similar auto retopology)

• Thundercliffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thundercliffe polycounter lvl 6
    The tone of the wood is very nice, feels natural and looks physically accurate! =D The detail in the scan is excellent.

Great example of tech, though I don't think it's quite "game ready"! It is very geometrically dense for what I can assume is a small prop/part of the environment? I bet a lot of that geometry could just be deleted without any noticeable effect in the silhouette. Even with LODs I'd say at LOD 0 you're still probably a bit overkill =P

You could probably run ProOptimize in 3DS Max and see what that churns out (or any similar auto retopology)

To an extent yea, but tbh geometry Isn't that expensive anymore. 

The geometry could easily be lowered in sections but you could load in a much lower lod at 5 meters and have this for much closer shots (first person shooter/have it be interacted with) 

This is what would be classed as "hero geometry" (i believe this is what the refereed to it as in the ue4 forest demo), only to be used when extremely close to the camera creating an illusion that the entire scene is this dense. at 3 to 5 meters you could draw in a much lower one maintaining the silhouette but at half the geometry. Its all about being smart with lod distances and what the prop is actually going to be used for. 

When you take into account how tesselation displacement works on floors and walls the amount of geometry on this is nothing in comparison. 

Its all a matter of the targeted platform you plan on using this in, the style of game and where it is placed in the scene.