Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RZ-1 A-Wing - Star Wars Fan Art

Slobsy
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Slobsy polycounter lvl 2
Hi Guys, 

I've been working on this A-wing as a bit of a portfolio piece/texturing exercise, I'd love any feedback if anyone out there would care to comment.

I know it's not a very complex model compared to a lot of the other stuff I see on this forum, but i'd really appreciate any feedback about both the model and the textures. Cheers!

Here is the model in it's untextured state. There is still a lot of work to do on the model especially around the rear/engine. I can't find too many reference shots of the rear around on the internet so i have just gone off what I could find, and winged the rest of it. I'm not really to concerned about being too accurate here as this is mainly just a texturing exercise for me.

Next I unwrapped the UV's and made a bump map in photoshop to mark out the panels and small details in the model. This is a bit sloppy in parts, i'm guessing I should have spent more time thinking about unwrapping the UV's as the problems seem to be around the seams, where this is slight warpage in the lines. It is not really noticeable from a distance, but is quite obvious when up close.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this?
(Top right is my UV Layout and the bottom Left shows the bump map)

Next I painted the textures in Photoshop, and also made a specular map to add a bit of wear and battle damage etc.

I still need to model and detail the cockpit, the undercarriage/landing gear, and the rear, but will probably put this on hold for a while until I get a bit more free time.

Replies