Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quint, Edge Chronicles Fan Art

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
So I've been working on my next portfolio piece and I chose to do Quint from the Edge Chronicles on the cover of the Winter Knights. 

And this is where he's at currently, 

I'm learning substance designer and painter as I approach this, so I'm going to be experimenting with how much of the detail I can put in the materials and how much I'm going to sculpt. Especially with areas around the face I'm unsure of how to go about it, I noticed in painter they have materials for different skin types (nose pores/cheek pores/neck skin ect.) I'm also debating what metal to use on the armour, iron or steel. I think I'm going to give a go at making both and see which looks better :P
Any C&C very welcome! Thanks!
JLeeD

Replies

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    you might want to work on his face a bit more. I know its hard when an illustrated character looks slightly different from one drawing to another, but I think the eyes and lips on your model are a bit bigger than they should be.

• JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey @Tectonic! Thanks for the reply!

I've worked quite a bit on the face based off more various illustrations and real life faces. I also sculpted in the finer detail, any feedback on that would be really good as its the first time that I've done high level skin detail. Major shout out to Rafael Souza and his brushes which I found here, https://cgelves.com/download-free-zbrush-skin-alpha-brushes-pack/ 

I've not updated the painting yet to the new sculpt so its very rough (like the lips are painted where they no longer exist) but this is what its looking like so far!
    I also made a cast iron material for the armor. I used reference from photos I took at an actual old 17th/18th century armory, but I'm not sure if just doing plain iron/steel would look better so I'm going to be experimenting with that!  

Any C&C is really welcome and helpful! Thanks! :)
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    I forgot I'd read these books when I was much younger, thanks for the nostalgia! Nostrils seem a bit long to me, looks fine in 3/4 view but from side profile I think it's too much? Not a character artist so take that with a pinch of salt. Cheers! 
  • JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Guys!

Long time no post! Updating with my progress on the skin shader and hair, its the first time that I'm doing this so any feedback is greatly appreciated! I have to say there's definitely things I would do differently if I did this again, particularly the skin detail, mainly pores are too noisy and the poly count on the hair became way out of hand with the strands being too thin.  

Things I'm not sure about is whether to spot or not on his face, I don't know if they look like chicken pox. I was aiming for him to be in the teenage years so I think it might be worth it to go in and add the spotty detail properly. And with the hair, I'm not really happy with the layout of his hair but I don't think it would go much better if I redid it and it's incredibly time consuming. For my first full on realistic character, I think its going fairly well and I've learnt a hella ton and my mind hurts with all I have learnt about the texturing, but I'm eager to push this guy as far as I can so any feedback would be incredible, feel like i'm just scraping the tip of the iceberg when it comes to this technical stuff.

Thanks for checking out my work! 
  • JLeeD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Polycount,

Last and final update! Calling it done for now, though I wouldn't mind going back and adding some frost, mud and dust! Let me know what you think :3