Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oil Drum / Barrel Prop

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Treidge polycounter lvl 11
Hello,

I was curious to see if one can take a really ordinary object and effectively present it as a hero asset. Is it possible to create a showy shot with something plain, or is it just complex models that can have such feature?

So, I wanted to make something really simple and play a bit with textures and presentation. I’ve chosen an Oil Drum that we all have seen countless number of times basically everywhere, especially in games.

Most of the time this red barrels tend to explode all of a sudden without a reason, but this ones are just flammable… though they’re empty. Seriously, if you'll load Sketchfab viewer — don’t look inside :)

A bit of tech info: modeled in Maya, textured in Substance Painter, rendered with Iray. Single barrel is ~7300 triangles. Textures used for rendering are 4096x4096.

Artstation link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/y2e53

Thank you for checking this out!

Sergey

model

Replies

• Elpen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elpen polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great, the only issue I see maybe with the material on the oil and sign. Sign looks pretty prestine, other than that great job.
  • Treidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I really like how just some regular barrels can be presented in a such way :)

As for materials — the idea of oil leakes was to define something like a dried up fuel oil (masut). I should put some more work onto it next time, as I agree this can be made better. The sign, though, is already slightly scratched in some areas, has damage and dirt over it — I've tried to balance the weathering effects on it and not go too far in damaging it. Maybe some additional material wear on the sides would be pertinent, I think.
  • Dev_Bennuii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the prop game ready? 
    ~7300 triangles are a little bit too much... Or am I wrong?
    Really nice work btw!
  • Treidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Not really intended to be actually used in games. For a mere barrel in most cases it is indeed a bit too much  :)