Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vintage rifle

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Deforges polycounter lvl 11
Rifle loosely based on a winchester rifle. Currently on the first texture pass, I'll need to rebake some parts to fix some errors. First time using substance painter so I'm trying to get acquainted with it.

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    I think your material definition can use some work but personally the first things that stood out are that the loading gate is on the wrong side (should be on the right) and also in order for this rifle to work properly you would need to have some sort of side-mounted scope (something like this) 

or the scope would need to be mounted significantly higher.  The empty shells are ejected from the top of the gun and since your scope is mounted directly over top the shell would have nowhere to go and would probably get jammed.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think your material definition can use some work but personally the first things that stood out are that the loading gate is on the wrong side (should be on the right) and also in order for this rifle to work properly you would need to have some sort of side-mounted scope (something like this) 

or the scope would need to be mounted significantly higher.  The empty shells are ejected from the top of the gun and since your scope is mounted directly over top the shell would have nowhere to go and would probably get jammed.
    Thanks Rocksteady, I should have pointed out this is supposed to a recreation of a game model for a fan project - 

I flipped the loading gate to add visual interest and the gun doesn't eject bullets. When I first started looking at this gun I noticed it's basically a Winchester rifle but it's still important to the project that the guns function and look more like the originals rather than what they are based on, if that makes sense. 

I'm a big fan of the last rifle you did, I'm hoping to emulate some of the texture work on this.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some marmo renders with additional work. Still trying to figure out how I can add some lighter wood scratches in painter. I'm so used to photoshop but definitely am seeing how much faster the process is with substance.