Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016: Mesh is black in certain viewports and unclickable

Devon M
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Devon M polycounter lvl 4
Picture below:

That would be my top view, perspective, front view, side view.

I'm on Maya 2016 SP6. Two sided lighting is turned off on all viewports. The only material on the mesh is the default lambert 1. This problem has never occurred to me until my recent project.

List of bugs I'm experiencing:
1) Mesh is black in certain viewports. 
2) If I turn on wireframe mode on any viewport that isn't perspective, the wireframe will not show (becomes 100% transparent)
3) Cannot select all verts/edges/faces/etc in viewports that are not perspective. Example: Select mesh, turn on verts, square select verts on desired mesh: Only a few select, and not all of them. 
4) Cannot select some mesh in viewports other than perspective.
5) If I'm in my perspective viewport and I move mesh up, down, left, or right, sometimes they will make them appear "normal" in the other viewports.

I haven't done anything to this scene except change my unit of measurement to meters, and that was at the start of the project before I made any mesh. 

Help? :(

Thanks everyone. 

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some things to try:
    1) Clear history
    2) Freeze transforms
    3) Conform normals, just in case.
    4) Mesh>Cleanup
    5a) Duplicate, then delete the original
    5b) Make a cube, freeze/clear history on it. Select it first then your problem mesh, combine and clear history again.
    6) Maybe check if x-ray drawing is on?

But my hunch is that you have the scene set to meters and freezing transforms should work. Maya still doesn't do anything but centimeters very well, you'll run into occasional issues where things like bevel or extrude behave very erratically and uneven. I'm currently working on meter-sized scenes but I still leave Maya in centimeters, and I constantly run into selection issues like you describe on meshes with transforms, or snapping to verts failing miserably. Normally I'd work a smaller scale, but then I have issues with other apps in the toolchain in my case.
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty

I tried all of your suggestions, but nothing improved.

Also discovered a new bug

1) Activating Wireframe on Shaded also does not work if in other viewports that are not perspective.

I also tried exporting my mesh and into a new scene, and it's the same problem as the previous scene. 
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New bug discovered:

1) If i change the renderer to Legacy Default then my Wireframe on Shaded will show, but my mesh is still black. 

2) I'm checking my other scenes in the project, and maybe I didn't realize it then or not, idk, but now some pieces of geometry are completely transparent, and the only material on them is the default lambert 1.
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: I went in and reset Maya back to factory default. Still same issues. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind sharing the scene?
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty

Sure, how do I do that? I don't see an attach on this forum. Should I throw it up on GoogleDrive or something?
  • Devon M
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Maya 2016, and that didn't work either. 

Newly discovered problem: 
    1) If I move any mesh (even a default cube in a new scene) high enough in the perspective view (in the +Y direction), if I look in the top viewport it turns black and then disappears. 
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also went through and made sure my graphics drivers are up-to-date...This has never ever ever ever happened to me in all of my years using Maya =/
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New discovery:

For whatever reason, when I translate my mesh down (Y-) I can see it again in the top view? The front view is still showing black. 

Suggestions?
  • Klaudio2U
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klaudio2U polycounter lvl 8
    This is not a bug - camera is just clipping the mesh.

1. Go to Outliner
    2. Select all cameras there - left, right, top...etc.
    3. Unhide them (press H) - you shoud see them in the scene
    4. Move them all further away from your object and hide them again
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Klaudio2U

Great suggestion, thought it might work, but I'm still having the same issues. In fact, when I click a black object, it tends to blink in/out of black. All on it's own. Like, my mouse is no where near it and it's deselected. 
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was half of it, the black flickering comes from the near/far clipping planes on the cameras, so you're actually seeing the back of the mesh when it flickers.

Open the attribute editor, select each camera and set the values. For this scale 0.01 for near looks good, the far clip can probably have a 0 or two knocked off the value you have set now. Then things should work like you expect.

You can also preview the clipping planes on a selected camera with Display>Show>Camera Manipulators. You can also drag MMB over the near/far to adjust that way. (and display>hide since this isn't a toggle)
  • Devon M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty

Omg...Omg you have no idea how much stress I've been over this thing xD I can't believe I did literally everything as far as deleting the whole thing and reinstalling...

Thank you, I can't tell you enough, thank you xD

Can you explain to me why the settings I had gave me the results I had? I'd like to have a better understanding of it, rather than my previous knowledge of "Make this number smaller and the other bigger."
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad to help!

I don't really understand the science behind the odd drawing problems when near is too near and far is too far myself. The settings are mostly used for controlling visibility for busy scenes or setting ranges for depth-based render passes. Just for fun, set a near clip of 10 or so on your perspective camera, and try to zoom in on a single vertex.

In your situation, changing the scene scale to meters didn't move the cameras but did adjust the far clip plane for you, I forget what the default near value is.
  • str0ngman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

It is interesting to encounter similar issue at the end of the year 2022. As a beginner I found my mesh is black when I was turning my camera around.

The way to fix this is to change the AO color from pure black to gray. The mesh is exported from max to maya in order for me to use remesh tool in maya.

Anyone who is searching an answer for this issue can try my solution first.