Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yet another MP5K!

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
rage288 polycounter lvl 7
Hello there!
Here is a personal project I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. It's a Heckler & Koch MP5K-PDW (Personal Defense Weapon). Like my previous project (Franchi S.P.A.S. 12) this is also a well known weapon both in film and videogames, but this time around its also a very known and proven real life SMG used the world over by police, special ops and military.

Modelling of both high and low poly meshes done in 3dsMax, textures in Substance Painter, rendered in Marmoset Toolbag. 
16K tris and 4K textureset.

Any comments appreciated!
Thanks!

Replies

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet! Nice work!

Are the welds from SP or did you model them in?
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!
    They are modeled both in the HP and LP model. you can see it in the last image that shows wireframes.
    Not 100% happy with them, but its time for another project
  • Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    looks great!
    Only thing I would say for improvement, is looks like it would need minor adjustments is the metal roughness. Currently it looks like its got a plastic coating or clearcoat on it. 
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Good work dude! I think just turning down the gloss on the metal would improve this project a lot though, it reads very plastic-y at the moment.
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @Mossbros and @gfelton!
    There is always room for improvement when it comes to the roughness channel, specially if you are working with over 4 dozen of ref pics collected from the internet where the coating of the gun varies from very glossy finish to very rough kinda matte paint with very different stages of wear and use and shit. So I've settled with one reference I have found and added all the wear, tear and dust (the one in the pic looks brand new and somewhat blue-ish, mine is black)

Thanks for the feedback! :)
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn! will change it as soon as I can. A good ol' slap in the face is sometimes needed. Thx @perna
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There you have it @perna, dark background :D 
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    i can see normal map seams on edges , i think uv's are not separated  or if you have baked maps in substance painter try to give one smoothing group wherever you get this seams . idk why substance painter does this but  sometimes even if your uv's are separated it will give a seam at those edges so to get a nice smooth edge you can try to give that part one single smoothing group and then do test bakes .   
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can see normal map seams on edges , i think uv's are not separated  or if you have baked maps in substance painter try to give one smoothing group wherever you get this seams . idk why substance painter does this but  sometimes even if your uv's are separated it will give a seam at those edges so to get a nice smooth edge you can try to give that part one single smoothing group and then do test bakes .   
    Yes, Ive baked in Substance Painter. Normally my workflow with hard edges is to separate the uv islands (like this case) but yes, sometimes designer still shows some of the seams, couldnt still isolate the reason. Next time ill try an averaged workflow or maybe Xnormal. Thanks!!
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG said:
    How did you make that grip texture? I've been struggling to make it.
    Its a standard plastic material with a noise procedural in height channel, some grunge procedurals affecting mainly roughness, a scratch procedural affecting color (slightly), roughness and height plus some edges generators and a general dirt/dust generator on top affecting color slightly and roughness and some handpainted scratches. Hope it helped!
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    for me it looks overall very good! but some of your edges are maybe to hard for good bakes. would love to see also your hp
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek said:
    for me it looks overall very good! but some of your edges are maybe to hard for good bakes. would love to see also your hp
    Here are some HP renders. Also done in marmoset... Gotta get access to keyshot or remember something about Vray for them to look fancy, thats why I didnt post them earlier :P Thx!

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG said:
    @rage288 Holy fuck dude thank you so much for that info. I never tried putting a procedural directly into the height map. Well I did but I never liked the results so I was using fill layers attached to masks. This is soooooooo much better. I guess I just don't know Substance well enough and that's why I've been struggling. Again, thank you so much.
    By default the noise procedurals are waaaay strong for height but when you lower the opacity in the height channel to (in the case of this grip material) 3 or 4% its fine ;)
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for  uploading the hp model! 
    Like i mentioned before, maybe there are some edges they are maybe too hard. Issue there is, on your lp the normal map curvature will be too small in pixels. Result will be an edge with more or less no curvature in normal map and maybe AA problems. I`ve learned from many people to model things a bit smoother then they are in reality. Just to get an better normal map result later on. With 4k it "could be" fine, but maybe you will use 1k, then you will get in trouble. 
    Im really not that expert, but maybe there are others here they agree with me or if not, could teach me something different. 

Here are some edges that I would describe to hard:
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MaxHoek Some of those parts may have an extremely sharp edge yes, gotta have that in mind for the next project.
    Danke!  :)