Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need critique for Celtic warrior female character

jaysonmtl
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
jaysonmtl polycounter lvl 10
Hi I would love some critique on my model, these are shots from marmoset. She will eventually be rigged and animated by a friend. She will also be getting an battle axe soon. She is a celtic warrior out for revenge ;)

Her story is that she got her unborn baby stolen by the evil lord (belly scar) and she is out for revenge and to save her child.

Textures in substance painter and sculpted in zbrush, she sits at 80k tris  O.o  Thanks!!

Moodboard

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What's holding up her boob plate?
    The metal feels a little too clean.
    Also, use JPGs.  PNGs take too long too load.
  • DesireeFernandes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesireeFernandes polycounter lvl 7
    I can see a few design things here you might want to think about:
    • I'm not sure if you're going for something that would actually suit a warrior, or if this is just an eye candy piece (not a bad thing), but if you're going for someone who could actually hold their own in a fight, you'd need to cover up some of the exposed vital organs and limbs (abdomen, legs, etc).
    • As far as the breast plates go, you would totally be able to see at least part of the nipples as is, if they were there. The breast plates need to be covering a bit more of the breasts to avoid magical nipple-less breasts.
    • Even if this is just an eye-candy character (again, that's fine), the grabby-hands boob and butt paint is a bit much, I'd at least change it to something that isn't blatantly a whole hand grasping those parts.
    • The C-section-esque scar on her stomach is too straight up-and-down, I'd vary up how it's cut with an angle or jaggedness of some sort; it looks too uniform.
    • With the red hair, green eyes, and blue body paint, she looks more Scottish/Irish than Viking. You might want to revise that.

• Tomtegubbe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomtegubbe triangle
    She doesn't really look like a viking, she looks like a celtic warrior. They fought naked covered in body paint:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c7/27/e8/c727e8e3c83497c0426c8cec4afd7324.jpg

As for the model, the metal around  the breasts look unconventional as does the metal around her crotch. The paint looks a bit random, if you look at pictures of them online the paint seems to be neatly put onto the body. Otherwise it looks quite good, maybe she's a bit too buff but overall looks quite nice. :)
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi Youre right I should put in something like bolts so we can understand better, yep metal has to be worked on I might even go for another type. Sorry about those png's il load in some jpegs when I get home.

DesireeFernandes Yea im going for a more eye candy pin up chick, il cover up her breats some more to hide the magic nipple lol I agree with you on the paint il try and do something a little more original. Yea the C sec is way too fake il try out a more circular version and see how that goes. Yea she is way more celtic I think im gonna have to go with that now. In the beginning my inspirations were 80's chicks from films like Conan, il try and find my original moodboard.

Tomtegubbe  You guys are right about the Celtic warrior and not viking part ;) Im gonna experiment with different metals and add more wear and tear. I wanted to make a buff warrior chick but still sexy looking hehe 

Thanks for the crits ! il get working on those :)
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the textures and some tweaks, tell me what you think ;)

• jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few zbrush screenshots 

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Did they have cesarean back then already ?
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    the freckles on her skin look too uniform across her whole body. they should appear more in places that sunlight would hit on a daily basis, and less in places that wouldn't (like more on her cheeks, less under her chin/on the front of her neck, more on her chest, less on her stomach).
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern : I dont know about that but like I mentioned in my description it was a evil man who cut her belly open to steal her baby so not really a c section and more like a butchering ;) 

@Tectonic : Youre right about the freckles, il make them fade out in places less affected by sunlight.

Thanks !
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made and Axe and tweaked the skin shaders in marmoset and played with the lighting a bit.

cheers

• Dan12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan12 null
    Will this be rigged? Would love to see it turn alive and if possible I could animate it.