Home Unreal Engine

Vive VR UE4 Perspective Problem

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,
I got into a pretty serious problem with the perspective in Vive VR via UE4, or maybe general VR. 
First off all, I don’t have any experience in working for VR before that. And I thought, if I work in real scale and put on my Vive everything will look exactly like it should be. But for me this doesnt work out for now. 
I do work on a Cockpit scene, which will be interactive with Vive in UE4 soon. But the view will not work out. Not everything will look like in real, though I worked pretty accurate with all measurements. 
I found out, that everything on eye height will look fine (in my scene the windows on the side and also panels in front of) and also the overall sense of space feels very exact. But when I look down or up to panels located above or below,  the details look too small. Everything feels like its so small and more like a little toy. But when you look overall to the panels and buttons, the scaling looks like it is on the right place with the right size. Very hard to explain…
Also figured out, when I go down to be on eye level with the buttons the scaling is improving.  
Summarized, everything far away will be too small but overall sense of space is fine.

Maybe its something with the FOV so the fisheye effect is to big. But normal settings should be normal human view in VR I guess?

Does somebody know that problem, or maybe better know to get rid off? Would be nice if someone could help me! Thanks for taking time to read my post!  

Replies

• MaxHoek
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    You can set the FOV of the camera in the pawn blueprint. Playing with the values, it seems the FOV for the VR template is clamped to reasonable values. If you can't get the result you want, you may have to edit some code.

• MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JonathanLambert thanks for your help, but we know that we can change the FOV from the default camera. We also know there is maybe a chance to change the FOV from the VIVE in UE. The issue is there, we dont know if its fine, because maybe its strange for your eyes and feeling. VIVE`s standard FOV should be the perfect FOV, isnt it? Otherwise it would be weird. 
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I recheck everything. Every measures fit perfect to the original A320 with UE units. But we still have the same issue.

Here a video for you guys:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xhlocVPDXM&feature=youtu.be
    In the video everything is looking more or less fine. But in vr the buttons feels like toy, so small and unreal.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've not got much experience with the vive but on other hardware this same thing has been a problem.  I believe it to be due to FOV and focal distance being fundamentally different from how your eyes work and sadly I don't think it's resolvable on this generation.   
    I'd be willing to bet that the problem isn't noticeable on objects that are on the far side of where the focal distance is set. 

Do a bit of reading up on how your eyes work vs how stereoscopic displays work and about how FOV is calculated and you'll start to understand how and why this happens - you won't be able to do anything about it but you'll stop wondering :)
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @poopipe thanks for your advice! I also think VR is not how it should be until now, you have to fake and do tricks all the time to get the best result. Right now I am playing with the "World to Meters" Setting in the VR tab of the World Settings. 75 works pretty good for me. 

This works pretty fine and everything feels better now with the right setting but the Controllers in hand are soo big now haha! I will scale them down and everything will be better for now! *HACKZ ACTIVATED* ;)