Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steven Universe and Crystal Gems Home

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AllyAlbon interpolator
I'm in the mood for a nice big challenge with lots of little props and stylised textures, and I am also utterly in love with Steven Universe.  So I thought I would have a shot at recreating Steven's home.  Initially, I am going to build the interior and then the mountain/statue exterior.  If things go well and I don't want to eat my own foot off after this project, I may expand to make more of the town - I really want to make the Donut shop too.  

All projects must start at the beginning - I decided to make a quick sketch of the floorplan.  The show is wonderful in that it uses all kinds of angles for its backgrounds, so there is some great reference out there.  I will start blocking in today/tomorrow.

Replies

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Big Steven Universe fan myself - this sounds like a fun project. Will be watchin! :)
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    @Daf57 - it's going to be a biggie, but hopefully a fun one! 

Blocking in progress - surprisingly difficult to get proportions right, sometimes 2d just doesn't want to translate into 3d. Should finish blocking tomorrow and then will start with Steven's bedroom, I think!

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Block in done! Some proportions are off, but it will have to do for now, I found reasonable averages. On to Steven's bedroom!
    ... I have also realised that I really need to work on my PBR skills so I am about to start a second project too....

model
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Picking up this project again!  Had to sit it aside to work on portfolio, but had some time to start detailing - starting in the bedroom.  Not sure yet whether I will be adding cartoon outlines or not yet, we shall see. 

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    I've been working on my portfolio, but had a chance to tackle a bit more of this scene today!  

• AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    Wow, I cannot believe it's been over a year since I last worked on this piece!  In my defense, I started a new job working in VR, and then last month started working at a games studio so I have been busy...

I've been heavily inspired after catching up on the series last night! Spent much of the time on my workflow and direction for the piece though. I want to capture as much of a feel of Steven Universe as possible, but it has been proving really difficult to get the handdrawn/outline look of the show without either spending an insane amount of time duplicating polys and tweaking, or using the inverted normal method which uses too many polys... i'm sure there is a tech way of doing it but I am not there yet! (though I may use the inverted normal method for final images).

Further, just drawing the lines by hand results in really poor fidelity unless each asset's texture is at least 512 so that's a no go.

I'm quite happy with the atlas technique I used for the Steven Universe cafe though, so I am stripping all the textures and starting from scratch - it won't be 100% accurate to the show, but I can live with that if it actually means I get the thing made!

So... have a new floor and a bedcover! :D

• Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like it's taking a good shape, keep it up :D

Do you think you'll try and emulate the scratchy outlines ? Maybe with some duplicated concave meshes ?
  • AllyAlbon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AllyAlbon interpolator
    This project was abandoned to work on folio - but I recently decided to dust it off and keep going.  I cringe at how old this piece is, but there was a lot of potential to work with, so I stripped the textures and started again. Not a lot to show today, but it will get faster now the project is re-organized!