Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal character work: Camille Toussaint

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ILmaTeR polycounter lvl 10
well Ok, let this be some sort of construction diary. I initially started her just for fun and learning. Shes a character I've been mourning a lot of time. Tried many different styles but I wasnt happy with the result.
I was working on another character when I decided to jump in and finish her head. Until then she looked something like this:

I wasnt looking for something too realistic, I planned her to be a character for a point and click adventure game, so she had to be simple in design but at the same time, expressive enough. I was going back and forth on her design until I had something I was happy with.

I was happy with the direction but still I didnt work the hair, so before finding solutions, I rebuilt (aka zbrush, Low, clean UV, bake, paint etc) part of her skirt to make her look more classic.

Heres a progress on hair making. Another thing I wasnt happy was the hair strands, looking choppy, confusing and horrible. So at this point I removed her hair and started from the ground up.
To the left, oldest (first) version, center new version with new textures, right final version with tweaks and grooming.

Now Im working on her animation rig, wich I hope to finish soon. Thanks!

Replies

• Maxilator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, good job so far! I think the hair is way too shiny, and the normal intensity of it makes it looks very "clumpy", so I would tweak that. The shirt also looks a bit off with that much gloss, I guess it could be satin? The details in it makes it look more like a rougher fabric.
  • ILmaTeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ILmaTeR polycounter lvl 10
    Maxilator said:
    Hey, good job so far! I think the hair is way too shiny, and the normal intensity of it makes it looks very "clumpy", so I would tweak that. The shirt also looks a bit off with that much gloss, I guess it could be satin? The details in it makes it look more like a rougher fabric.
    Hey Maxilator thanks! yes indeed details are a bit and evident than they should be, my plan was to import her into UE4, so those kind of details work better when looking from a distance, but to do things right, I was thinking on cleaning up the shirt and skirt from fiber detail and make it properly with a small tileable texture wich will give a more smooth and cleaner result I think.