Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Smith & Wesson 629cp

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SebastianBielecki polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone!

I want to share my model of a Smith & Wesson Magnum 44 629cp i made in my free time.
Modified magazine cause oryginal is just simple cylinder and i wanted to make it little more interesting.
Model has 7361tris.
Modeled in 3ds Max - low and high poly. Maps and texturing made in Substance Painter. Renders made in Marmoset Toolbag. Some dust and scratches postprocess made in Photoshop.
Critique is welcome :) cheers!

Replies

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    My one and only critic, i think you overdid the dust/dirt lens particles a wee bit.
  • shubham kumar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    Is it me or scratches look over done 
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice work! :)

Too many scratches? I don't know ... kind of depends on where it's been and how it got there. ;)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i agree that the scratches are too uniform and just in general too much. and for a gun this beat up, its quite clean. throw some light dirt in places itd occur naturally, only scratch up obvious areas, and go a little easy on the post process in the presentation ;) 
  • oreoorbitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oreoorbitz polycounter lvl 9
    Dunno, in real life, I only notice scratches when the light hits the right spot, maybe tone it down on the the colour map a bit. A metallic item will receive scratches when it touches against a hard surface, so scratches most often happen on the edges, and in functional areas that are moved and touched often.
    Looks great though
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys a lot! This is very helpfull! This is my first gun model and basically 2nd model textured in substance painter.
    @Nerf Bat Ninja  thanks a lot for your opinion man and thank you for that textures, i'm sure i'll use them next time!

• Yoji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man I just wanna ask how do you get such perfects materials, like seriously. If you did it in painter this is 4K right? 
    Regardless of what I do painter just doesn't wanna show me this good quality output. 
    My metals are too dull in painter so I crank up the shine and then they're too shiny in Marmoset. (yes I use GGX)
    Should I just trust painter with the fact that it says steel or iron and take the properties as is? 
    It's annoying cause when making a sword, I can't seem to nail the gradient from regular to shinny metal on the blade part :(
    Any tips?
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Yoji hey man! sorry but i don't know your workflow. Can you let me know what maps are you assigning to which slots in Marmoset?
    I'm not making anything unusuall, basic steel metal and on top of that fill layer with generator to show up that steel beneath.
    And yes, this is 4096x4096 texture.
    Also you can check out my second gun model i made few days ago.
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/kmZrK

• Yoji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Hi again, sorry for the superlate reply.
    Here are the shots from substance and Marmoset:

As I've looked at your model I can guess its fairly high poly, does that have any effect on the textures at all?
    As you can see my wear on the lower part under the blade is has very large and course detail on the edges and I can't get it to go smaller and finer. Am I using the wrong filters? Because I've tried them all. :( 
    Also the blade looks horrible, how would I get that sharpened edge look?
  • SebastianBielecki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for late response. Seems like you have all maps correctly assigned. I believe it will be something with your materials in substance painter. I'm just a beginner in this matters so don't really know how to help you :)
  • Yoji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yoji polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks man, no worries, at least I know I did one thing right. :)
    I think I'll try some photo projection and see what happens.