Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Melissa Roux: martial artist- progress thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Gungriffon Geona polycounter lvl 18
Hello everyone, I've started work on a new large-scale project, though this one I can assume will be finished much faster than the last one. Especially since I've done all the design work myself this time (seriously hated working on that Suzaku mesh after a point.)

The character I'll be making is named Melissa Roux, aka 'MRX'. (the MRX came first, I just made a name based on the letters.) The idea is that of a robot attempting to learn how to be a martial artist the old fashioned way.
Work so far had been on the head, given i needed to finish it first to sell as a product for a digital marketplace.
Design sheet here:

Finished Head model:

The head is actually pretty much done., so now I'm starting work on the body next.
Continuing in next post.

Replies

• Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Current progress on body 'blockout' Which is basically just me slamming out a base subD mesh to pull all the plating out from. it's doing okay so far but i'll be adjusting stuff as I go.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 3, done with torso blockout and now starting on plate build-up and general refinements of shape. shoulders and neck are set up mostly as intended, will probably go over them later in.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 4, made progress on a few fronts. More plating done, messed with the various chest customization options. about the only thing I won't trust the body slide controllers to do, as the built-in scale bones for the chest are absolutely dreadful. thinking I might can use these as a vertex deform for later.

Might also need to add intermediary chest sizes between the smallest and the next size up. none of these match the actual character yet.

Questioning if it's even necessary to remove the nipples from the mesh each time I decide to post this publically. It's quite the hassle.

• Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day 5's work. felt i should wait until daytime to post my work instead of exactly when I stopped.
    didn't get a whole lot done yesterday. spent most of the day experimenting with vertex deforms. I also decided to try and make a robot heart for her based on a dream I had. Perhaps I can hollow out the chesk cavity behind the breastplate and put some cool machinery in. Does anyone here think I should try that?

Let me know what you think!

• Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been away because i'm doing a bunch of stuff at once. September is usually my busiest month, so I've been disinterested in posting progress (especially since literally nobody posts in progress threads anyway!)

Lower legs in place, was playing around with various details to see what i could get out of the design during the high poly phase, rather than waiting to slap it in the normals later.
  • Gungriffon Geona
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't posted here in awhile.

So, since I last posted, I 'finished' the legs, though I'm considering maybe adding some extra details. I say 'finished' because there's a ton of joint detailing that needs done before I'll remotely consider the legs done. HOWEVER, i need to move on and complete the rest of this thing, so I'm off to the arms currently.

Absolutely riveting. just look at those beautiful vertices. Obviously it's boring work at the moment but hey whatever.

THERE'S ALSO ANOTHER THING I FINISHED RELATED TO THE PROJECT!

I made super cute bunny ears to go with the head, and they're all finished and everything.