Home Technical Talk

Making Realistic Banner/Flag for a Game (UE4)

mobpapst
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
mobpapst polycounter lvl 4
Hi there,

i want to make a realistic Banner/Flag for a Game scene (UE4). I just want to know on which way i would get the best results. I know that i can use cloth modifier in 3ds max but it's really high poly. I saw also the method of using only a subdivded plane with an alpha mask, double sided material and apex clothing inside the engine (ue4). Whats about marvelous designer?!

The question is about the whole process from start to finish and which programs would be the best to get a final result in the engine like the following image:

I'm very interested to hear your answers.

Greetings

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    any of the above. If something is too high poly, retopologise it -- anything you get from any program will likely be high poly, its the only way to get those wrinkles, from there you make the decision about what needs to be geometry and what can be handled by a normal map.

Model the shape manually without wrinkles and with even subdivision, take that into zbrush, step up a few subdivision levels and sculpt in the wrinkles. export. step back down to the lower subdivision level and export, uv map and send both to your baker. Take the low poly into the engine, set up cloth and you're done.

As for marvellous designer, its a whole other skillset involving producing sections of fabric flat and setting up and stitching them in the viewport before simulating. It's great for this but you'll end up with a dense mesh that requires preparation to take ingame, prep that you probably aren't prepared for yet so I suggest the above.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    There's a cool trick using parallax mapping with an animated noise texture:
    https://simonschreibt.de/gat/deus-ex-3-folds/