Home Unreal Engine

[Question] Global GI and Area Lights

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
I just found this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xamOHJF2UTs (Dynamic GI & Area Lights), but should this be avoided for UT multiplayer levels? (DM,CTF, etc) Is there a massive performance loss if I follow this guide? Thank you.

I don't really have any valid reason to use it other than making the map "look pretty" or to practice using it in a level.

Replies

• leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    The massive performance loss would be from the LPVs, which even at it's current state(the video is from 2015) is still hardly usable. I've seen it looking decent in static images with heavily restricted angles, but in an actual game it doesn't work too well. 

If you're only using it for getting emissive objects to affect the scene around it, the baked GI works really well(in combination of the GIReplace node used in the video). Otherwise this emissive technique has no purpose because it's not actually emitting any directional light or specular. DynamicGI that's restricted to small materials like this would be useful if the light might be turning on or off, but other than that, I don't think it's worth the hassle with LPVs.