Home General Discussion

Time tracking app

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
spexel polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone! Just wanted to know how you keep track of the time spent working on a project? I personally use an app called Toggl but I was curious if there was anything better on the market.

Replies

• GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    I don't have experience with Toggl, however I think aTimeLogger is a pretty good app for tracking time. It basically lets you do a stopwatch for different tasks and you can define as many tasks as you'd like. Also, it lets you go back and edit time when you forget to start/stop the timer (Something I'm guilty of quite often lol)
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    I use Toggl as well, both for work stuff and for nonwork stuff. It's about as simple/easy to use as it gets.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I was listening to the Vitaly Bulgarov podcast with Ash Thorpe, he just uses a simple sand timer, if you want to time yourself go hard core, no stopping allow :awesome:
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I use the stopwatch thing on my phone and enter it into a google sheet
  • krraej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krraej triangle
    It's not an app, but I use RescueTime on my computer. It tracks the time you spend in each program or on each website you visit and slots it into different categories like productive and unproductive (you can edit which websites/programs you consider productive/unproductive). It only counts the time spent in an active window so even if you have Maya running for hours, but only spend about 30 mins working in it, RescueTime will know. You can also set specific daily goals for yourself like "spend at least 3 hours in a creative program" or block certain websites that you spend more time on than you like. It's free and I personally really like it.
  • spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    krraej said:
    It's not an app, but I use RescueTime on my computer. It tracks the time you spend in each program or on each website you visit and slots it into different categories like productive and unproductive (you can edit which websites/programs you consider productive/unproductive). It only counts the time spent in an active window so even if you have Maya running for hours, but only spend about 30 mins working in it, RescueTime will know. You can also set specific daily goals for yourself like "spend at least 3 hours in a creative program" or block certain websites that you spend more time on than you like. It's free and I personally really like it.
    Interesting, I might give it a try.
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 18
    I use Neil Cicierega's work timer to accurately track the amount of time I spend in a day actively spent working. It's small and useful and free.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    I've been using Tomighty. You basically work in 25 mins and rest 5. On the 4th rest time you do 30 mins of rest. The methodology it's based from is called Pomodoro. Having great results with it!
  • spexel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spexel polycounter lvl 2
    Finalhart said:
    I've been using Tomighty. You basically work in 25 mins and rest 5. On the 4th rest time you do 30 mins of rest. The methodology it's based from is called Pomodoro. Having great results with it!
    good! I was looking for something who would remind me of taking small breaks!
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    spexel said:
    Finalhart said:
    good! I was looking for something who would remind me of taking small breaks!
    The nice thing about it, is that because is only 25 mins, you give your best and are fully focused. And the 5 mins of rest are really rewarding, without noticing it you already worked almost 2 hours of PRODUCTIVE time. It really depends on the person, personally I burn out quickly so having those breaks are a deal breaker for me.