Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

new to poly count

goodguyace
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
goodguyace polycounter lvl 6

hey I am new polycount and an enthusiast trying to learn character design and i recently picked up zbrush (less then a month ago) and would appreciate any kind of critic on my work (link below).   

https://ace0master.artstation.com/ 

Replies

• Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    Hi man, welcome.
    Well the first advice anyone would give you is to train your overall proportions and planes of the face in lower subdivions first before actually going into more detail. Once you'll know how to do that you'll be free to create any believable face that you want, realistic or stylized. Even for stylized stuff it's great to know about what actually makes up a face and what lies under the skin.

A good exercise is to take the default dynamesh sphere 32 in ZBrush and try to make a face as accurate as possible with few polygons, without ever increasing the resolution until you can't do anything more to improve it.

Here the famous planes of the face reference :

• goodguyace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh awesome thank you I will work on it right away,
    Also thanks for he the awesome refence 

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Welcome Francis!

If you're looking to do character design, I'd really recommend looking into what "thumbnail sketching character design" is.

From what I can tell, you would benefit greatly if you clarify your sculpt idea and concept in 2D first, and then recreate that in Zbrush.

Or, better yet, I'd work from an existing piece of concept art or illustration.
  • goodguyace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh cool what u mean work on an existing piece (I asume something someone else has designed ) if I do how do I give credit to that artist for using his art and I'm going to try thumbnail 

• Ragnar_Danneskjöld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ragnar_Danneskjöld polycounter lvl 6
    Buy this book , it comes with videos and models and i can not recommend it enough. If you want to get good at drawing; google Proko. do it...
  • goodguyace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have heard of proko and I look out for for that book thank you 

• goodguyace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

My recent work i had a massive break inbetween since August till the start of the month due to uni and my partime work got a little free time and I got back on zbrush and been practicing for the last week or so would love any critic or comments thanks