Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Tutorial + Download] How to handle with zippers on lowpoly meshes.

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello everyone!

I´m making my game called Tomorrow, and when I´ve started to make some models I found a problem. How I will deal with high poly zippers? I need a low poly count meshes, but i need the information to get a good realism. So here is the solution.

I´ve breakdown the default Zipper IMM in 2 parts, the handle and the end. This two pieces, I´ve made a really low poly version, with UVs ready, the link is bellow.
The middle repeater part I´ve striped off. Why? Just because I cant send that to game engine. And How I make the middle part? With alpha  + color.

This is the final result:

Follow this Steps...

Make your basemesh. Put your details, then duplicate and go to lowest subdivision level and delete the highest ones. In this example, I will use a simple plane.

Load and select my Rene_Zipper_Curve Brush. This will be our base mesh for the zipper. Draw-it where you need your zipper.

Then on Subtool pallete, go to split and split masked. Then go to polygroups pallet, and group visible, for last, got to geometry pallete and weld points. Now, with ZModeler Brush, clean up unnecessary edges.

Now, is the time to paint our zipper line, with my brush Rene_Zipper_Alpha. And here comes the trick. You will use polypaint to define where you will put your material after. This will generate our Material ID colors. So, for this mesh, first we will subdivide it a few times enough to get a good resolution. Then we will paint this mesh with a color, here I choose black. Use FillObject to do that. After, apply my brush with another color selected. In this example, I will use a green color.  This is what we get so far.

With the same color, we will place our Zipper Handle and End. Select my other IMM brush. Rene_Zipper_IMM. But for that, we will duplicate this zipper base mesh, delete the highest subdivision levels, and keep the lowest one. Then apply the brushes. Use the move tool to adjust if you need. At end hide the base of the zipper, then delete hidden. We don't need it anymore. FillObject with the same green color.
This is what we will have now.

Now its time to delete the LOW BaseMesh, make the UVs, and clean up. At end, export the tree pieces with XPOSE function. The High and the Low versions. Its important to xpose, because we don't want bake the details of the handle and the end over our mesh. So we will export 3 times.

1 - High with xpose we will call BaseMesh_High
2 - Low with xpose, we will call it BaseMesh_Low
3 - Low without xpose, that will be our in game mesh, or FinalMesh.

We will bake this colors (material ID), normals, Ao... If you prefer, you can make that inside ZBrush. I prefer to use Substance Designer for this baking part. At end, this maps will be the result. NORMAL / AO / MATERIAL ID

I will use Quixel to paint. But you can use any way to make your painting. Even Unreal Engine 4 has material layers based on masks.

I hope that will be useful. I spend a night to reach this conclusion. ;)
And if you know a better way to do that, plz tell me because I´m a rookie.

Brush Download Link