Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uncharted 4 environment fan art (wip) feedback/critique would be rad :)

Hi everyone, I've recently started a new environment and intend to post my progress  to polycount as often as possible. it'll be based on this level >   www.artstation.com/artwork/8k3rq

here is my progress so far.

reference

Any feedback along the way would be rad, cheers. :D

Replies

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, Matt. So far, the texture and modelling work of the windows are a great start. I might consider  breaking/chipping some of the stone a little more, similar to the bottom of the wall on your last reference. One thing I would keep in mind, however, is just how much is going on in that scene. I don't know how faithfully you plan on recreating it, but 6 people worked on that and you don't want to burn yourself out.

That being said, some more block in work (it's hard to tell from the one screenshot) could be necessary to really establish the layout of the scene before you get too far modeling all of the detail and texturing.
  • Matthewc182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @9Solid Thanks for the feedback man, I went back to add more to the block out, I think I may have gotten carried away a little but this definitely helped me finalise the composition and start to think about other assets I might need so yeah. thanks :) 

• Matthewc182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the base material in substance painter wasn't really doing it for me, so I sculpted a new one.  Going to be re doing all the textures with this new base material.

old

new

• Matthewc182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to go back and mess around with ivy stuff, definitely think it's looking better but still a lot of room for improvement.
  • Matthewc182
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Very promising start Matt, I think what I'd like to put in for now is that the foliage is just a big clump of green... I'd play around with some material instances just to get some variety in the foliage colour and I personally feel like the ivy could do with a slightly darker tonal value in comparison with the ground foliage, just so it will pop more, as right now they kind of just merge into one thing...
    The ivy placement I feel was actually a little bit better in your initial post, there was more variety in the positioning and felt somewhat more natural... as right now it feels very uniform where everything is drooping downwards in a straight line... I suggest you find a balance between the two? keep the ones that go down in a straight line but mix up some of the directions those leaves are pointing in on every odd vine and it will make this feel much more natural.

Again, really nice start though, keep at it! :)