Home General Discussion

Next project?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys!
I am trying to grow my portfolio in a desirable manner...My goal is to be a hard surface environment artist one day lol
What should model next?

http://www.theartoftylerlewis.com/

I am all over the map from creating WoW weaponry in the style that you see on my website or just making in it in the style of WoW

or

To Warhammer 40k falcon grav tanks

To another weapon that i have blocked or even finishing an old M4 that I have in the archives....you know those old projects that we all have lol

To Foliage, trees or bushes or ...somthing

To retexturing assets I already have that are in my Giant Mars 

Should i remain sci-fi or go fantasy?

I would love to hear yalls thoughts on this :)

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Why not make a full scene of something ? Or a diorama ?
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have thought about that....but then should I just finish this?
    http://www.theartoftylerlewis.com/wip-destiny-fan-art-mars-station/
    I kinda think small High detail props might be the way to go?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Yes, finish it

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    one of the most important things is finishing the projects you start even if they suck or its a soul sucking trudge to the finish line, make a point of finishing it.

Other then that just go for whatever initially inspires you, inspiration carry's you for the first length that is why it is usually the easiest part.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    one of the most important things is finishing the projects you start even if they suck or its a soul sucking trudge to the finish line, make a point of finishing it.
    ^This. So much of being professional artist is having the endurance to finish your work and not getting distracted by the next shiny, fun looking thing. Otherwise you fall into the trap of constantly starting new things and never finishing them.
    Yeep! It will help when it comes time for art tests too. Too many artists don't finish personal work and it comes to bite them in the ass when they need to get that last 20% polish on a piece quickly. 
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definitely agree....it's a weird place right now that i am in.
    I really want to finish my mars scene...but holy cow it is still a long way off lol

The question that I have is it best to slowly chip away at that scene and get it better and inch toward a finished massive environment
    or
    Do I table it till I land an industry job, and in the meantime do small high quality pieces? (This is the option that I have started doing)

But if I am doing it wrong please tell me hahah
    I have worked on the simulation side for 5 years....and It is my dream and passion to make games and to tell a story....I am finally in a city with a bunch of studios. I am poised to make my dream happen, I feel like i have the talent to do it. I just need to make sure I am doing the right things on my portfolio so that I can nail it. 

I almost had an opportunity at AAA studio but i feel I lost out because at the time my portfolio had a couple unfinished assets and yeah it was bad...the interview went well but I feel my portfolio shot me in the foot. 

So any advice I can get so that I can have everything be aces next time i get an opportunity like that I am ready

and thanks to everyone who is reading this and commenting I really do appreciate it :D