Home Technical Talk

3d Max - Vray - Quixel Workflow

ryanonline
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ryanonline null
Can someone show me a set-up of Quixel textures correctly applied to a v-ray material?  So the Albedo, Specular, Gloss, Normal and Bump. I know where most of them go but often get confused because they have different names. So for Instance:

Albedo > Diffuse
Bump > Maps/Standard/Normal Bump/Flip Green (y)

I've seen this question asked a bunch of times, but no clear answer.  Anyone care to help?

Cheers.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Ryan!

I've moved this discussion to Technical Talk. You'll have a wider audience for your question here. I unfortunately do not know enough about VRay to advise you, but I believe many people here will. :)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Does QS have a vray preset that converts metal/rough maps to vray material maps? Or are you using a spec/gloss setup in QS.

In Vray spec would be reflection, gloss would be reflection glossiness.

Substance Painter, for instance, uses offline renderer(vray/arnold/etc) presets to convert the metal/rough data to maps that suit the vray material. The key map  being fresnel ior. So the preset outputs these maps in order to recreate the shader:

Diffuse
    Reflection
    Reflection glossiness
    Fresnel ior
    Normal
    Height (bump) -normal and height are combined in the Max normal bump map.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    We do have an export profile for VRay - it can be chosen upon project creation or during project export.
  • ryanonline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanonline null
    So it would look like this? just for others looking for this answer?

Vray                               | Quixel
    Diffuse Map                  | Albedo Map
    Reflect Map                  | Specular Map
    Refl. Gloss.                   | Gloss Map
    Bump>Normal Bump | Normal

Thanks for the replies guys!

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I just used Albedo , Normal , Roughness , metallness ( used this for specular or when needed redone in PS ) .
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA said:
    I just used Albedo , Normal , Roughness , metallness ( used this for specular or when needed redone in PS ) .
    Not good. :) This won't give you an accurate representation.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    NAIMA said:
    Well thats what Quixel exports, and I had to use two exports one for Ue4 and one for Vray . I had manually tweaked some though.

Oh and I forgot to add that I eported several masks from Quixel as I needed ot add dirt and other things .
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA said:
    NAIMA said:
    Well thats what Quixel exports, and I had to use two exports one for Ue4 and one for Vray . I had manually tweaked some though.
    The metalness map is a mask and shouldn't be used as a reflection map. Can you post a screenshot of the maps that QS exports as a Vray preset?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    NAIMA said:
    NAIMA said:
    The metalness map is a mask and shouldn't be used as a reflection map. Can you post a screenshot of the maps that QS exports as a Vray preset?
    Yes I used that to isolate metal from nonmetal and then tweaked in PS .

This is what I got exported from DDO

https://gyazo.com/8038b2f584e6e7024ed90fb79f532051

I also exported sometimes masks of the painted metal to get the scratches etc to reproduce out of Quixel .
    But indeed I did not get the same results anyway .
    Oh I also used curvature, but I had to manually fix it in PS too because it created black dots all time .

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If that's what you got then it's not really a vray preset at all, it's just metal/rough maps?
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    May be I wronged export settings ? I Was pretty sure to have selected Vray .
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you might have. :)
  • ryanonline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanonline null
    Okay so.. if someone can be so kind to show maybe a print screen of a correct setup for maybe wood,metal and stone.. that would be great. Like I would but I don't really know myself. The spec and gloss I get from quixel are normally super flat, often just one tone.

I have to manually make spec and gloss maps myself which defeats the point. I'm not exactly sure whats going on. I 'm creating them as a Vray (srgb) but the only usable maps are normal and albedo.
  • ryanonline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanonline null
    Here's an example with the original spec and gloss map from Quixel as a Vray (Srgb). And my own, created in Photoshop from the original Albedo map.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the albedo has double-gamma. I'm not sure what QS does with the preset, but just plugging your spec/gloss from it into vray isn't going to work. Vray uses a completely different shading model. That's why I said above that the conversion that S Painter does with its preset includes a fresnel ior map that tells the renderer how to shade the model. 
  • Vipera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vipera polycounter lvl 2
    Here is my test to match Vray materials with 3DO PBR materials. The first image is the Vray render. Second image is the 3DO screenshot. 
    Vray

3DO

I exported textures from QuxelSuite 2.0 with the Gloss-Spec settings and didn't modify them to use in 3ds Max 2016 Vray 3.4. The lighting is slightly different because I don't know what lighting setup is in 3DO but I used the same HDR map for the lighting. I think that it is pretty close approach. If someone wants to check the material settings and 3ds max scene setup I have these files in my Dropbox folder (31 Mb).