Home Technical Talk

What's your workflow for modelling in game and film ?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
KurtPoly polycounter lvl 3
Hey.

I'm trying to understand the workflow for game and film.

For example, lets say I had to model a gun for a game. What is the workflow for that ? To create a realistic gun with a poly budget.

And how to model a gun for a film ? 

I know there are many ways so I would like to hear from you guys your workflow with as much detail as possible, and if there are any helpful tuts that would be amazing.

I'm sorry for the newbie question but I really want to understand this. I've been trying and failing miserably. 

Replies

• Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    There are many post with the same question and lot's of detailled answer, but here's a quick summary,

For Game, you'll create a low poly model, and you'll use normal map and texture map to create detail in the model, the normal map are usually extract from a high poly model, 

For Film, you won't create anything low poly, you just throw polygon until you have enought detail and then you'll use displacement map to create fine detail, the main difference is that you're using a offline render engine, so you are not restricted to your computer spec, you just have to wait to have your final image,
    gl !