Home Technical Talk

Make your old color profiler new again (spyder2express, etc)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
If you are like me and use a color calibration device for color uniformity, but find errors in the manufacturers software, or they no longer support your OS/device combo, try DisplayCal: http://displaycal.net/

I did a forums search and saw someone mention it in a sub thread, but it was so useful for me I wanted to make a unique thread. 

I'm still running Vista 64 bit and bought a Spyder2express years ago for my photography work. I tried doing a new profile and the software just wouldn't complete, no matter what I tried (USB driver updates, uninstalling and restarting and installing again, etc). I found DisplayCal, downloaded it (and through some fiddling figured out how to enable the spyder 2) and managed to get a new and accurate color profile for my monitor without shelling out for a new device.

Just in case it's not clear, normally when you have a color calibration device (a USB "eye" that can see perfect color) it comes with proprietary software, which will show the device a series of colors from dark red to light red, then the same with green and blue, and make a custom color curve to load into your videocard to correct for any color inaccuracies. This software can become buggy, out of date, or the combo of OS and device might not be compatible. DisplayCal aims to be a device agnostic color calibration software that can read from a multitude of devices, including very old ones like my Spyder2express. Newer devices work perfectly after the download, but mine I had to enable in a menu, have the manufacturers CD in the drive for the driver to be found by DisplayCal, but once that part was done, it worked a treat. 

So, just wanted to put it here so it might come up in future searches, or in case someone is in a similar boat. 

Replies