Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Fishing Village (WIP)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
PLYONS polycounter lvl 2
A WIP of a scene I made based off of a concept by Yoga Satyadana.
The idea was to take the original scene and add story by showing a creature that came from under the ice, bringing a maelstrom of day ruining inconvenience.
Crit of things to change, or ideas to improve are welcomed.

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
  • PLYONS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLYONS polycounter lvl 2
    Update: Mostly Lighting changes to push the visual interest. Material color and snow particle changes. 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    Very cool! I love the palette you have going on here. Buildings look great, too.

I think the shape of the water might need a bit of a push. Right now it feels a bit flat to me, which makes the vortex seem a bit odd. It doesn't really affect the water around it like you'd think

I might try sloping the water inwards towards the vortex, to really draw the eye there, and make it really feel like something big is emerging from there. Also the boats don't really seem to be affected much by this giant void in the water- you'd think they'd start getting pulled down into the hole, or for them to be rocking with the turbulence.

Great scene, though!
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat, but I'm confused by all the tentacles. Are they supposed to be from a monster, or like decorative statues or what? The giant ones in the backgrorund look like the kraken is trying to sink the town, but the ones in the foreground don't seem to be coming from a water source, but they also don't really look like statues.
  • PLYONS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLYONS polycounter lvl 2
    Thanks for the feedback!
    @Wasteland Melody I see what you mean about the water being too flat, I'll try some sloping and some waves as well to show how its's being pulled down. Also show the affect on the floating assets more.

@FreneticPoniesThe tentacles are from a sea monster, The farther tentacles were supposed to be from a second monster but it does seem to create a conflicting feeling visually, I'll remove those and focus on making the foreground monster feel like its emerging. Thanks! I definitely don't want them to feel like statues :) 
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually I'd say the far ones are the ones that work best for the whole "sea monster" thing right now, feel large and intimidating.
  • PLYONS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLYONS polycounter lvl 2
    Ok I made the water more chaotic and tossed the boats around and moved the deck posts. As far as the tentacles go, I changed the formation of the back ones and the visibility to add depth. The foreground monster I added dripping water to some of the tentacles. and working on their emerging.