Home General Discussion

Just heard about Red5 laying off

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
Is this another nail in the coffin of the MMORPGFPS ? (Firefall, Defiance, Global Agenda ?, etc ?)

Replies

• Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I am surprised it is now. I was always suspicious of that studio being frivolous with money considering how much money they were spending on PAX booths 3-4 years before Firefall even launched and then the year the game launched they had nothing.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    It could be for any number of reasons.  Sometimes it's just a matter of a project being completed, sunset or just scaled back.  Hopefully everyone lands on their feet.

I doubt it's a nail in any coffin.  FPS's and MMO's are still way too popular to die any time soon, which means devs will still want to combine them.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That studio has been in trouble for years, pre and post-release of Firefall. Frivolous spending, poor management & development practices, and now numerous layoffs.
    I interviewed with them in-person and got a pretty bad vibe while there at the studio. Some nice talented people there though, so I sincerely hope everybody lands on their feet without too much hardship.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    I interviewed with them in-person and got a pretty bad vibe while there at the studio. 
    Artist on tweeter who freelanced for Red5 said he was owed $12K.  Even with a contract and hiring a lawyer to go after backpay he was just ignored.

He didn't say it outright, but his tweets suggest to be wary of Chinese owned studios (if you do freelance work for them).
  • radiancef0rge