Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] - Sci-Fi scene - Alien Isolation inspiration

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys, The title pretty much says it. So here is a scene made with the Top Down Sci-Fi assets from the marketplace (from Manufactura K4) aiming to create a scene along the lines of Alien Isolation. 

I wasn't sure of what direction to go with initially.. so I made meself a mood-screen (my second monitor is treated as a mood board) and began building things from there. 

The process is pretty straight forward.. 

Started off with some casual empty boring hallway.. 

Tried to figure out primary light sources that is not the focal point. 

Add that fire in there as a focal point. 

And build rest of the damn scene.. 

GG EZ. 

Replies

• Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Hey, Layout and prop placement etc. is looking sweet, although its very very dark so making it hard to see that.  Checking the histogram in photoshop, it's tonal range is aaalll down the black end. Your mood board is dark as well but it might be nice to just bring it up the black a little bit.  You could brighten up your focal area and get light mass (assuming your baking) to do the bounce for you (or try Light propagation volumes + DFAO if frame rate isn't an issue).

I made a Gif to try explain a little better, although its hard to actually lift the blacks from a png and level out the histogram a bit so its not the greatest:

• JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    @Kazperstan
     Thank you :) 

I get what you are saying. Personally I like to stand on the dark side (pun intended xD ) 

Yes I used lightmass. The fire light is a movable light though. And because I do not have a directional light for the scene I cannot use LPV. 

But I had an ambient cubemap in my post process volume and forgot to turn this on. So I notched that up a little and further added some bloom . 

Let me know your thoughts :) 
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Nice work all around! Though somehow I like that first pic the best, super spartan and creepy. There's nothing wrong with the tons of added complexity in theory, and in practice you did a good job too! It just doesn't seem as striking as that first, barren setup. I think it's because the fully decorated place makes me feel a little lost with everything going on.
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
  • JZAcH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZAcH polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks guys :)