Home General Discussion

Balancing design, research and historical accuracy

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Flay polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone! I have a question: when does using and searching for references become detrimental to study?

I'm making my first forays into seriously studying historical armour and clothing, in order to make my first real attempt at a polished character design. The outcome I envision will basically be middle-eastern fantasy armour, but I wanted to try to ground it in real world history and practicality. Unfortunately all of today I ended up searching for accurate recreations of armour and clothing, and reading about the history of the middle-east, but not actually doing much drawing.

Since I'm only just starting with research and character design, it could just be a result of me having very little prior knowledge of historical clothing, but it feels like a really inefficient way to study.

When you guys search for references, do you simply grab what you find aesthetically pleasing, or do you actually do in-depth historical research before getting started with design? Or is it a balance, and if so, how do you find that balance?

EDIT: In hindsight, it would probably be more useful to start with a whole lot of clothed and drapery studies, disregarding time period or accuracy, then work towards more specific research later once I know more.

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    That's not a lot to go on... How much fantasy is fantasy ? Yet Historical ?  You can post examples of what you're thinking of, you know.

Honestly, I just look for things that catch my eyes.

Like, this. Fk, hhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg !

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Iterate

Do studies with refs you currently have at hand.  When you discover better sources that provide further design ideas, do another set of studies.  Build on previous knowledge (older design studies) to re-inforce your topic knowledge and produce more design studies or original works.

You don't have to be too linear with your approach when it comes to collecting and analyzing references or research notes.
  • Flay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flay polycounter lvl 5
    PyrZern: I'm not sure how fantasy because I haven't started the design process yet and I'm not designing for a specific brief. That said I'm more interested how you guys use of reference in design in general, not just this one instance.

MagicSugar: Yeah, I don't have a deep visual library yet. I realise now that it's probably better to building my broader knowledge before I get too specific.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Historical accuracy depends a lot on the setting, but what really annoys me are things that go against the game world. For example a game world that assumes earth's physical laws and real world materials, yet uses them in ways impossible by physics ("but...but...it's magic!"). Buildings that would likely collapse on themselves, ships which's masts would snap in an instant, and so on. Character designs can have similar flaws, like weapons impossible to draw or to wield. Fighters wearing garb that doesn't allow them to move, and so on.

You have to ask yourself "does my design work in the game world I am designing it for?".

How much you violate those principles, again, depends on setting. But you have to be consistent in the degree you violate them. If your game adheres to realism throughout, then impossible buildings and vehicles do stick out, and you're well served by researching real world examples of design and engineering for your work.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flay said:
    When you guys search for references, do you simply grab what you find aesthetically pleasing, or do you actually do in-depth historical research before getting started with design? Or is it a balance, and if so, how do you find that balance?

EDIT: In hindsight, it would probably be more useful to start with a whole lot of clothed and drapery studies, disregarding time period or accuracy, then work towards more specific research later once I know more.
    You have to be careful depending on your audience. 

Things like hairstyles and clothing can mean different things in different cultures and in different time periods.  If you were making a game set in ancient China, how would you model the hair on women?  Depends on their status.

In that warrior picture above, he's wearing a mail mask with coins on it.  That looks like something some Arab women would wear.  Maybe it means nothing, but I would research that and see if it has meaning in Arab countries.  Quick Google search and I can't find any Arab or Islamic art with male warriors wearing hijabs with coins. 

I see this in architecture too where games have random shape grammars that don't fit into their culture.  Arches are common problem areas.

I don't claim to have any deep knowledge but I enjoy thinking about these things and enjoy learning about new cultures.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I think its more than accuracy. Putting together a mood sheet to aid me in coming up with a design that expresses the character I am trying to create always goes before correctness. That is only for personal projects though.