Home Technical Talk

Normal maps fail

dobrich
vertex
Offline / Send Message
dobrich vertex
Hello everyone, I've got some issues regarding normal maps. Namely this is the result I get from it on my model.
I AM a beginner, but so far I dont see a mistake in my work. I make model in 3ds max, turbosmooth, and then, reduce mesh manually to retain its shape. I then adjust model so that polys be uniform size and export it to zbrush. In zbrush I am adding noise, bumps on surface, irregularities to look more realistic and natural. Then I export High poly to xNormal and bake that to low poly. And after that with nDo I want to add those ornaments to my models. I made them in ilustrator and exported to photoshop. They look like this. 
But when I add them to the normal map made with xNormal as I said the results are these.

The color of those too marked parts is different. As if it is inverted, and on the grip it looks pretty well. I tried dividing those shape in separate parts but nDo still converts them like that..inverted look. I think I explained that I know how to bake in different programs so I dont see the error until nDo.
I later converted that normal map in nDo converter to displacement map and load it in bump.

Boom...it looks perfect...and gorgeous, with few tweaks I could get what I want, and later play with textures for diffuse part, to make variety. it has all the details I added in zbrush, while the normal map looks completely flat. I understand my normal map is bad, and thats negative point to me, but, why is it necessary at all. With that disp map loaded in bump slot I get everything I need, could you tell a difference, or could you notice that I dont have normal maps?
I am desperate for help

Replies