Home Technical Talk

Gun / hardsurface workflow

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
rage288 polycounter lvl 7
For the last couple of days I´ve been modeling a shotgun (S.P.A.S. 12, yes that one) with almost 100% old-school Sub-D approach and some quadchamfer and TS here and there with the intent of baking a normal map. Thats the way I know how to model; pure Sub-D, but Ive seen some people praising the Quadchamfer + TS method as the way to go almost exclusively when it comes to Hardsurface and of course Guns and Weapons.
Personally I guess that both methods are good and the best is to mix and use one or the other as the shape demands it.
My question is: Are we done with classical subd in favor of Quadchamfer +TS in production? Are you guys using one in favor of the other? Mixing both? None of the above?
And the other point is, when im modeling in subd I tend to keep it simple and quick so my meshes are in NO WAY all quads and tidy and shit, sometimes they are quite messy. I´ve seen people tidying up their meshes as if they where sacred grials and making all quads and shit even when it was not necessary and in fact made the mesh more dense just so it looks nice and neat. Im attaching a image of what I do so you can see. Is this super duper tidy meshing a necessity in production or just pure pride? Are messy cages that subdivide well acceptable in AAA production? Just wondering

Thanks and cheers!

Replies

• rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I mean putting the supports loops by hand or using QuadChamfer modifier.
    On the second topic I mean for the people who look at your model and decide to hire you or not
    Imagine @perna you are reviewing work that some dude did for you with the intent to produce a normal map used in a triple A FPS for example.
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I guess what I was doing is correct.
    Maybe they where stupid questions to begin with

Thx!
  • rage288
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My concern was mainly cause u see in the forums all these tidy up meshes who are all perfect quads and shit and sometimes I thought "Ive could get the same shit without so many edges" but then maybe my method is frowned upon by purists... Aaaaa what the hell, screw purists, it was a stupid question
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    rage288 said:
    My concern was mainly cause u see in the forums all these tidy up meshes who are all perfect quads and shit and sometimes I thought "Ive could get the same shit without so many edges" but then maybe my method is frowned upon by purists... Aaaaa what the hell, screw purists, it was a stupid question
    It wasn't a stupid question.
    Always work towards getting a great result in the fastest possible time.