Home Technical Talk

[ZBRUSH] Zremesher Decreasing polys significantly

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
Hey everyone, Im having an issue in Zbrush where zremesher is decreasing my polycount significantly. 

These are settings Im currently using (pic below). I would expect this to halve my active points, but it takes it down to about 150k. Resulting in some pretty janky areas. Id like to keep it at about a million or more.  

I've attempted exporting the whole model out as an OBJ and re-importing it and had the same result. I've also tried the "Same" option and the "double" option. Both had the exact same results. Anyone have any idea why Zremesher is behaving this way?

Thanks a bunch in advance! Pullin my hair out over here.

Replies

• floon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    floon greentooth
    Hey @Nate Broach
    I tried to recreate your problem. After trying some different settings I came to the same conclusion:
    150k polys is the max you can get (~300k with double settings).
    My best guess would be, that the polycount is caped because the algorithm would take for ever otherwise.

If I were you, I would zremesh - subdivide - project and do a bit of cleanup if necessary.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    ZRemesher is not meant for high resolution meshes with millions of points; it is meant to give you something more basic that you can then subdivide as needed to get the required level of vertices in order to sculpt on. Perhaps you are mistaking it for dynamesh? 
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Floon, thanks for the tips, Im gonna try that tonight! I havent messed with project too much yet, but I've seen other people use it and it seems like a good solution.  Ill try it out and report back. 

Cyrid, yeah I didnt realize there was a poly cap on zremesher. I used dynamesh to merge a bunch of pieces together and then was hoping to zremesh it back to some decent topology. Thanks for the info.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That worked out great Floon, thanks again for your help.