Home Technical Talk

Probably an easy fix, getting weird shadows on mesh, please help!

Turbopasta
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys. I'm working in Maya 2014, did this torso and arm separately and merged the two so that none of the vertexes overlapped. I'm still getting these weird shadows on my mesh and I don't know how to get rid of them or make the mesh look better. I've tried soften edge, and clearing the history does nothing. I've also got this problem down the stomach of this guy as well. 

Also, are there any good fixes for the mess of mesh that I managed to come up with on the armpit area? I couldn't find a good way to connect these two things, although I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Thanks! 

Replies

• Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Make sure those vertices, along this shade, are welded together.
  • Turbopasta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turbopasta polycounter lvl 5
    FIXED (I think).  

I just spent a ridiculously disproportionate amount of my time figuring this out on my own. I don't want to come up on google results as the guy who doesn't post the solution, so here's what I did:

Somehow, the normals of the torso got flipped around, so even though all faces on the model were softened, it seems like the lighting was hitting at different angles. I figured this out by unchecking "use twosided lighting", selecting all the black faces, reversing the normals, then softening the edges. 

Some flipping and edge softening later...

At this point, I think I just need to get my topology better so it actually comes out looking better. Not sure if anything else needs to be fixed after that for improvement.