Home General Discussion

Artstation and the like for a folio VS built from scratch?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
just something I've been wondering lately. Do you guys think its enough to just have your folio only on Artstation or a site like that these days as opposed to a folio made completely from scratch?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Artstation only is fine
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    We prefer Artstation over a (probably bad) standalone website. 
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    A (well designed) unique website is generally considered more professional, but I have a hard time imagining a situation where it would actually determine whether or not you got a job. The one reason I can think to keep them separate is that you might want to post more work to Artsation (where regular posts can build your network) then you do to your portfolio (where you only want to show the best of the best of your work).
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Meloncov said:
    ...I have a hard time imagining a situation where it would actually determine whether or not you got a job. 
    It wouldn't, there is pretty much so situation where that's gonna happen.

Personally I like having a personal portfolio page for the sake of adding tutorials and stuff, but when I'm looking for work I tend to give out both personal portfolio link and my artstation. 
  • JGreentheRookie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
    Meloncov said:
     The one reason I can think to keep them separate is that you might want to post more work to Artsation (where regular posts can build your network) then you do to your portfolio (where you only want to show the best of the best of your work).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what I'm doing :)
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Meloncov said:
    A (well designed) unique website is generally considered more professional
    Too bad most artists are absolutely abysmal at web design and couldn't put together a decent user experience to save their lives. The vast majority of artists would be far better served using ArtStation to display their work.
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    Meloncov said:
    A (well designed) unique website is generally considered more professional, but I have a hard time imagining a situation where it would actually determine whether or not you got a job. The one reason I can think to keep them separate is that you might want to post more work to Artsation (where regular posts can build your network) then you do to your portfolio (where you only want to show the best of the best of your work).
    I'm gonna second this response. One thing I prefer about having a unique website is the custom domain, rather than having to do a ".artstation" (However it does seem like Artstation is working on integrating that functionality in the future which is really cool)

That being said though, I've found that I'm starting to like posting WIP shots to Artstation and leaving my portfolio site for more finalized images. It's a lot more liberating cause I like to share what I'm working on and as Meloncov said it can really help build your network. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    One thing to keep in mind about Artstation, if you don't want it to be flooded with your WIP, make a new Album that isn't viewable. And move your outdated or obsolete projects in there. (if you un-publish a proj, you lose the Like/View counts; if you care about that sort of things.)
  • GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    @PyrZern That's a cool tip! Didn't notice the visibility option for individual projects. Is there an overall "Album Visibility" option?
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    This is not even a question to me.. Any out of the box portfolio site is just fine. Are you a web designer or a game artist? I'd use the time it would take you to make a portfolio SITE look better instead to make your actual work look better. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GeorgeCrudo   Well, you could set it so that your Folio only display certain albums (instead of All Artwork)... Move obsolete proj into album not set to display. Or not into any album at all.

• GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    @PyrZern Oh I got you...I've just never seen that page before. Granted I haven't really used the album feature too much. Where do you get to that page from?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GeorgeCrudo  Here you go sir. It's the Site Builder.

• GeorgeCrudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeorgeCrudo interpolator
    @PyrZern Ah that explains it! Okay cool. Thanks for the tip :)